rough idle

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
the thing is, with the hood open, it idles between 650 and 700 flawlessly, as soon as the hood closes, idle takes a shit, and the car will sometimes die, any one know whats going on?

Jayhall

May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
its just a cone filter, i inspected the underhood foam cover thing, and theres no marks to show where its hitting, and its not loose anywhere except the oposite side of where the intake is. Even then its not all that loose

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
I think Nick is on to something.. Check to see if your fan clutch is locked up. It should only be locked up when it is up to temp and the thermostat opens.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
On all cars, an open filter element without an sort of shroud over the filter or for the fan to direct the air gives erratic airflow meter readings.

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
Bishop: Good idea.

Nick: I figured that was where you were going but have not tried it myself.

This is interesting... Does it do it when the hood is fully closed or as soon as you release the latch inside the car or only when you open the hood outside?

Jayhall

May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
when i open the hood when its at idle, it takes a few seconds the start breathing right, when i close the hood, as soon as that latch clicks the idle sucks. Ill go get a fan shroud, and try that out. Thanks for your ideas guys, i had no idea where to even start

Jayhall

May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
Spun MkIII said:
You might also want to check that no vacuum hoses are being pinched or anything like that.

alright, did that, none that i can see, i checked near the hood shocks and everything

leemk3

Aug 28, 2005
check all your hose clamps, check accordian intake boot and all hoses attchd to it, look for cleanance issues with hood and any underhood parts that might be aftermarket... example: look for rub marks on underside of hood panel/ under accel or boost, eng will rock upwards and may cause loose parts to rub on hood. even at idle, if parts are not installed "just so" may cause fitament issues with hood closed... and cover air filter, weither its open element or not. irratic m.a.f. gremlins are waiting for you

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Fan shroud shouldn't affect how the car runs, I've run without mine before with an open air filter and it didn't change the idle. It certainly is an interesting problem. Anything sticking up above where the hood sits, or any part of the hood liner sticking too low could potentially cause a problem. Is the problem any more or less pronounced when the motor is warm or cold?