Rough idle, code 41 helppp!!

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Im tired of this problem with the car. It wont hold an idle, idle would move up and down, also, ecu is throwing colde 41, tps, i changed out the tps and it still the same. I know i have a boost leak, but atleast would that messes with the idle and make it like that? I disconnect the idle control valve and it doesn't make any difference.

I also searched, didnt come up with anything. Do i have to recalibrate my tps? After changing the TPS, still throwing code 41. I'm stumped.

Help?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
41 shouldn't cause a rough idle. The vacuum leak would though.

Time to break out a meter. 41 is caused by 1) An open (more than 4.8 volts) or shorted (less than 100 mv) VTA signal or 2) A shorted IDL circuit combined with a VTA of more than 2.5 volts. You should also be getting a 51 in that case though.

All unplugging the ISCV does is freeze it in place....

akito

Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
i rewired my knock sensor if that makes any difference. ok, i remember someone posted a picture with all vacume lines, i wanted to make sure all my vacum lines are plugged up. But i cant find the page anymore, all the lines included the two switches/knobs below the intake mani.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Knock sensor not involved unless you dicked some other wiring up. You said you have a boost leak. In case it's also leaking vacuum (I should be slapped for saying that) fix it. Have you measured vacuum at idle? Regardless, a vacuum problem can't set a 41. Will the engine rev above 2000 rpm?

akito

Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
jetjock;1205407 said:
Knock sensor not involved unless you dicked some other wiring up. You said you have a boost leak. In case it's also leaking vacuum (I should be slapped for saying that) fix it. Have you measured vacuum at idle? Regardless, a vacuum problem can't set a 41. Will the engine rev above 2000 rpm?

I havent messured vacumme at idle yet. Yes it will rev above 2k but it also would not rev free ( has a delay when reving just like idling). What can set a 41?

edit: also did that before i rewired my knock sensor.

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Check for voltage and ground for the TPS, that code is not telling you the sensor is bad although could be, it's saying something within that circuit is not right meaning the ecu is not seeing what it should be causing you issues. Verify that it's producing a proper signal at closed throttle and WOT based upon voltage readings, closed should be around .5v and WOT around 4.5v or so. Start out there and make sure that is correct then we can go from there.

akito

Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Can i find the directions to how from the TSRM? Should the car be on at the same time? Well, im going to try that and get back at you guys. Thanks

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
I haven't looked at the TSRM in a while but it may show you how if not you need to atleast be able to identify which wires are which, and no the car does not need to be on just KOEO to get voltage readings.

black91turbo

Formerly black87turbo
Apr 27, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I was just going to say that you should read Jet Jock's post about high idle on MKIIItech.com but I see Jet Jock has already chimed in. I would read that post none-the-less....it breaks everything down for you and tells you where you need to start. I was lost with my idle problem until I read that and problem is now gone......