Rotten egg smell

Ron Jefferson

Jun 21, 2012
Virginia
I'm leaning towards a clogged cat but just wanted the opinions from some seasoned people out there. When under load, the car has a god awful smell, I wish I could fart like that, its enough to gag you. Its a rotten egg/sulphurish smell. Its not all the time, only when going up hill or high rpms. If it is the cat should I just test pipe and get rid of the cat all together? The state the car is tagged in doesn't require inspections. Thanks guys.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
That or the fuel itself. The smell is the sulfur oxidizing in the cat. Changing the cat temporarily alleviates the symptom, but is not the cause.

Ron Jefferson

Jun 21, 2012
Virginia
The fuel isn't old and its 100% gas, no ethanol, I'm going to cut the cat and put a test pipe in and see if that fixes the problem for now.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Old has nothing to do with it.Yes, it will fix the problem "for now" because the sulfur is no longer oxidizing in the bed. On the other hand, your gas station could always have higher sulfur than others and be below standards. And your defective cat isn't cutting it. Keep in mind, catalytic converters don't just stop working. It is almost always outside influence.

Last edited: