Rotella weight

daught

Oct 5, 2007
Oakville
I have come upon a very cheap source of 20L buckets of Shell Rotella. Here are the weights I can get.

I have a stock 7MGE that has been rebuilt so now it has about 70,000KM. There is no 10W-30. From what I have read around running the 5W-40 should be fine but it will decrease my gas mileage. How much of an impact should it have?

I know I could go for the 5W-30, but my motorcycle takes 10W-40 and I would like to use the same oil in both.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Shell Rotella T is a great oil...I use it in my diesel Excursion ;)

Well...since you live up north (considering how cold it gets), I would use the 0W-30. It's not the gas mileage so much, but how thick the oil is at start-up...if you look at the 40 deg viscosity's the 5W-40 is 38% higher. Imagine what it will be like when it's 5 deg C outside ;)

IMO, both the 0W and 5W-40 is too thick for you. It is rare you will ever be able to get the same oil that is best for two machines...don't let that drive the decision.

Note that the 0W-30 is also a tad thicker at ops temp (100 deg) than the 5W-30.

daught

Oct 5, 2007
Oakville
How about -20 :p ?

Could I mix the 5W-40 with something to thin the oil at startup?

Something on the side here. What about those additives like Lucas. They are really really thick cold. I have never used them but if low viscosity at cold start is so important how can they even be sold?

My other vehicle is a Honda CBR F2. I want to go with the same oil for both mostly because of storage space and convenience of just buying a bucket.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You don't want to play "petro engineer" ;)
Mixing oils of different types/weights can upset the additive package...it is not a good idea. And, don't get me started on Lucas (or other additives)...snake oil is too kind a name for these products.

Check your Honda manual...if a 30W multigrade is an option (I'm betting it is), the 0W-30 would be a great choice.