Roofcchange

fixer88

Oct 1, 2009
san diego
Hey everybody. Question has anybody converted a hard top to a targatop. Reason being i have a dealer installed sunroof in my car that is missing all of the pieces and a have a piece of glass in place from the previous owner. i know the simple answer would be to buy a targa top car. but i have mine to long to want to get rid of it. I would appriciate any info. Thanks

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No you cant. Targa cars have extra bracing.

I would look into getting a new sunroof installed. Maybe try and look up who made your sunroof and eeif you can get the parts your missing.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
i want to turn my 87 hard top into a sun roof car but i don't touch custom fab in body department and im sure that would cost a arm and a leg possibly a kidney.

I love my targa but honestly i dont think the wieght is worth it anymore and when the top is off you get so much wobble.. I know theres bars for this but money plays a huge part lol.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Torqueing the subframe bushings would help and if there old and cracking replacing them would help too.

My car isnt bad.

fixer88

Oct 1, 2009
san diego
Where is the bracing in the body or chassis in can build bracing. i got ahold of the manufacturer a couple of years ago cant remember who it is at the moment but they told me they no longer manufacture the sunroof and no longer have parts. so it is either leave it like it is, put in a targa top or transplant the roof section from my parts car. i like the the idea of targa top. i know of a couple wrecking yards with targa top supras.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Its in the chassis. Targa cars were made differently than hardtop cars.

Not going to work and be safe.

You can contact another sunroof company and get a slightly bigger one put in no problem.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Have a new sunroof installed. They're all around the same size, if it's a big issue, get a larger one.

Targa cars have a HELL of a lot different in the construction of the unibody. Not saying it can't be done, but to do it right would take more than the cost of just swapping shells to a targa car.

fixer88

Oct 1, 2009
san diego
Alright thanks guys I did not think it was going to be a problem but it sounds like it is to much work. I am going to look into another sunroof.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I think i made it out of first one time with 3 girls going to a party. Time after that i didnt even move before they wanted it back on.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I used to carry hair ties in my glovebox :)

And I swear, if I hear one more person complain about the supra being floppy with the top off, I'm gonna strangle someone. Go take a ride in a convertable fox body and get some perspective (or hell a targa C4 vette)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
GrimJack;1716036 said:
Girls I knew were always wanting to stick their heads up... until one of 'em swallowed a bug. My comments about that not being the worst thing she's swallowed didn't help any. :D
Again, why I keep coming on here when my mouth is full of food I don't know... :rofl:

hvyman;1716039 said:
:rofl:

Most girls i know get to concerned about there hair.
Sounds like a good reason to meet some new girls to me.

Poodles;1716057 said:
I used to carry hair ties in my glovebox :)

And I swear, if I hear one more person complain about the supra being floppy with the top off, I'm gonna strangle someone. Go take a ride in a convertable fox body and get some perspective (or hell a targa C4 vette)
I think it may have something to do with how many of us have stiffer than stock suspensions. In my SS, with the T-tops off, it was a bit wobbly, but the suspension soaked up most of the bumps and wiggles. With the Supra, a lot more of the bumps are felt through the body due to the suspension being a lot stiffer... That said, who cares? I'm not lapping Laguna Seca in my car most days...