Rolling chassis

luol Deng!

Apr 29, 2010
L.A.
Hey guys as you all now I am quite new to this forum and I came across an 86.5 dark blue rolling chassis for $600 so I went to check it out and the dude said he took out its powertrain for another supra of his. He was keeping this supra in his backyard under a tied down rainproof cloaks. I saw this guys ad last time in vegas a few months ago and its back again. we had this guy on the run, he seemed really nervous and even asked me how I was going to tow it. I meticulously inspected it while he babbled on about the good and the bad. I later realized that he was stubborn about the price and my dad was kinda ticked off about the optional driveshaft and steering pump(My dad is pretty old school so he doesn't know any better)
cuz I plan on a 1jz swap anyways. So what yall think should I contact this guy again cuz the good triumphs the bad in my opinion.
The good
No dings or scratches.
Never been in a crash.
like new blue tokiko struts and eibachs.
Vertical flow IC.
89+ tail lights.
Turbo ecu.
Trimless and bondoed.
89+ diff.
no AC
towing is not a problem cuz uncle will let me use his flat bed an I could do all the work at his shop.

The bad
interior is a bit crappy.
few slaves missing.
missing a fuel line.
hud light not working.
has or had TEMS.
drive shaft and steering pump optional extra $$$.(I plan on getting a new complete motor trany)
2620idk.jpg

eq5d6s.jpg

2ihujrr.jpg

szzjw8.jpg

Last edited:

luol Deng!

Apr 29, 2010
L.A.
joel903;1564331 said:
Pretty good find but, This is just me though but a mk3 looks so naked without mouldings.

Ya I was kindy iffy on that but maybe one day I'll get S2 CF doors:icon_bigg.
You really think I should go for it???

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
that looks like a nice start for a project. Aslong as everything is straight and its not rusting out I would hand over 600 of my hard earned dollars

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I wouldn't touch it, personally. How was that trim filled? If it's body plastic you can expect it to break out. If it's welded in steel, that's a lot of extra weight. I bought a super clean roller for $1k. It was unmolested, no motor, otherwise bone stock and complete.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Do not buy. Needs the moldings imo in order to look good as they flow around the entire body + you say they were filled n with bondo which will crack pretty soon.

Also get something 87+ as 86.5 is a year that really nobody wants other than a good deal.

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
If the body is really clean and you're willing to put in the time to fix the other bits it sounds like a pretty good deal. The bondo'ed trim is iffy but if the body is really clean besides that, it doesn't sound bad.
86.5 is the lightest you can get, so if you're looking for total performance, that's the best bet.

I paid something like 1k for my 89 which is pretty similar (in regards to what it comes with) to the one you posted.

luol Deng!

Apr 29, 2010
L.A.
Hmmm I just assumed it was bondoed but he got it done at a reputable body shop and I saw 1 really skinny crack. S2 cf doors FTW!!!!. no rust either.
Well anyways I can care less about the looks as long as it wont fall apart.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
So you got 2k for cf doors or what. If you saw 1 crack that means others are coming which your going to spend money just to make it look good.

The economy is shit and there are tons of deals out there and i see them every week on craigs list. You can for sure find a much better car than that pos.

Edit: your in LA and thats the only car your considering? Dude either spend a little more or keep looking as socal has some of the best cars out there.

luol Deng!

Apr 29, 2010
L.A.
hvyman;1564827 said:
So you got 2k for cf doors or what. If you saw 1 crack that means others are coming which your going to spend money just to make it look good.

The economy is shit and there are tons of deals out there and i see them every week on craigs list. You can for sure find a much better car than that pos.

Edit: your in LA and thats the only car your considering? Dude either spend a little more or keep looking as socal has some of the best cars out there.

I understand all that your saying and its true, but I just want something pure with no mods and a family friend of mine owns a body shop in vegas.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
If the trim filling had been done like Randy's Supra, all the trim filled around the entire car, it would look good. It looks like they just did between the wheelwells, which was a waste of time and money. If you can get that shit out and restore it to original, sure... but if it's cracking already and it was done only a year or two ago, in three years it will look like SHIT.

DO NOT WANT!

cool chuck

I like rims!
Nov 15, 2007
Maryland
its kinda funny looking without the moldings but $600 aint bad. Especially if you're trying to build more of a race car and not a super clean street cruiser.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
I think in my opinion there's no ding is possibly the dings and dents could have been repaired. Is it a repaint? How many miles? Why is the drive staft and the Steering pump an Option, I would think it would be part of the deal.

Poll? It's your car, do it your way.

luol Deng!

Apr 29, 2010
L.A.
Koenigturbo;1566619 said:
I think in my opinion there's no ding is possibly the dings and dents could have been repaired. Is it a repaint? How many miles? Why is the drive staft and the Steering pump an Option, I would think it would be part of the deal.

Poll? It's your car, do it your way.

IDK I don't question the shady characters of craigslist but he said he had friends who had supras and wanted extra $$$ for it. But the body is good.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Here are my thoughts: 86.5 Supra in L.A. no dings or dents, I supose it could be possible, not likely though. Chances are that when they did the moldings all the dings went away, obviously they had to paint both sides of the car, so they might as well do an entire paint job. I'm not discreding your judgement, if you say it's clean then it is. Just by looking at the picture it doesn't look like the that's the original color nor does it match the engine compartment. As I recall that color isn't even offered in that year, I could be wrong (as usuall). From reading here, that year car doesn't take a 1jz very easy, it's the newer chassie that will take a 1j easier.
I guess you need to decide if you want moldings or not. If you don't then yeah It's gonna take money to restore it for moldings. Or if you like the no molding look, Then, Like every else said, if it's cracked already then your gonna get more.
I'd offer him this $450ish with out drive shaft and pump.$600 with drive shaft and steering pump.

Side note: O.P. says he's gonna get c.f. doors, I don't believe that the car already has them.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
hvyman;1564796 said:
Do not buy. Needs the moldings imo in order to look good as they flow around the entire body + you say they were filled n with bondo which will crack pretty soon.

Also get something 87+ as 86.5 is a year that really nobody wants other than a good deal.

I specifically looked for an 86.5. ;) Why no love for the 86.5?