roll cage approval?

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
Find a shop that specializes in cage building. You will need the cage built to a particular specification, and that specification can vary depending on who runs the racing event you want to enter. Typically the spec states type and size of the roll cage material, number of connection point, number of bends, etc. It's not simply welding a few tubes in the car.

I'd suggest calling Bill at The Independent Speed Shop. He is near you, and he is involved in all sorts of builds and racing, he could probably direct you to the info you need: http://indy-speed.com/

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
You should read the Formula D rule book. You want DOM tubing. The guys in Drift Union were enforcing running in tandem with gutted doors and no cage a while back. You need to have a cage if you are going to do that. But I have seen a lot of leniency for people doing tandem without a cage. Still you should have one. If you were entering a Formula Drift event or something then they would inspect it really thoroughly. If I was to make a cage up by myself I would try to follow Formula Drift rules because then it would be done correctly. In that rulebook it states that whenever the engineer is mentioned Formula Drift will take that as meaning the driver. So basically that means you can build your own cage and, if you do it correctly, you will be able to be approved.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
one other thing: don't cheap out on safety items. cages, seats, belts, all things you do not want to fail.

also be aware that you may have issues with driving a caged car on the street in BC.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Enraged;1893900 said:
one other thing: don't cheap out on safety items. cages, seats, belts, all things you do not want to fail.
Good advice here. You only have one life in real life guys. You also won't truly appreciate your body until it doesn't work like it once did either. ;)

Enraged;1893900 said:
also be aware that you may have issues with driving a caged car on the street in BC.
I may do a full cage on whatever "fun" car I decide on next. Just for shits 'n giggles, to drive a CAR around on the streets around town... in a helmet.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
Bring your Supra to Evergreen drift. Talk to some of the drivers there. Jayhall on here is going to drift his supra. I am at Evergreen a lot ask around for Amishmatt ( got a big beard and I am from PA). Talk to the guys in Drift Union, the Hot boys, Drift Safari. Check out evergreen drift .com because they have to different track set ups. A 3/8 and 5/8 bank both have different requirements for cages.