Rods?

turbodriz

mk3 onwer
Feb 25, 2006
newyork....N.c
Talking to some the well known people in this forum they have suggested to go with a pauter rod for 700hp and up. I was wondering..... What about carrilios and crowers. How are they for 700hp and up? Please if anybody has any feedback let me know?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
When I bought my Pauters both Carrilo and Crower were having trouble sourcing material due to China buying EVERYTHING worldwide so this became the deciding factor.

Any of the 3 are fine rods.

Motofool

Oct 16, 2007
Spokane WA
from personal experience I have seen that Crower is most concerned with strength mostly they don't spend a lot of r&d on other things like reducing windage on their rod cap designs and utilizing the best design for weight savings.

generally speaking Crowers have been the heaviest of the high end rods but they don't tend to ever break from cylinder pressure related forces. if i was building a motor to rev fast or rev high for long periods I would not go with Crowers, but if you just want to step up from stock Crowers will probably last you forever if tuned properly with proper oil pressure =)

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Never delt with Crower, or Carillo and the Eagles are being used, but I've heard that replacing the bolts with better ones is a good idea. (ARP sources better bolts... so not hard to do.)

The dealings I've had with Pauter Machine were all excellent. The rods are second to none quality wise, and I would reccomend them to anyone in a heartbeat.

Don't care about lightest blah blah blah.. They are strong. They fit right, and the customer service and discussion I've had with them has been excellent.

As IJ notes, you pretty much can't go wrong with any of the rods mentioned in this post. (Other than he did not talk about the Eagles... :) )

My rods are 6" center with a 327sbc rod journal.. so I could have used cheaper ones for sure, but Pauter makes great stuff. Spend the extra money, and sleep better at night or when your pushing your motor to the max, no rod worries. ;)

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
what is wroung with egale rod's i never sean one break they are an h beam

alt of the times when shit breask it's the tune or bad build up many hondas such runs these rods and have no probs

all in all if tune and build is good you will not have an issue

Motofool

Oct 16, 2007
Spokane WA
i would consider eagle rods to be one step below the OP's choices he gave us.

usually eagle rods are about half the price of these other mentioned rods

and ive had first hand experience with breaking these when pushing the engineering limits of an application 36psi also didn't help. but eagles come with arp 2000 bolts stock.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Eagle's are very good, especially for the price. They come with 3/8" ARP 2000 bolts, stock.

Bryan Maloof had zero problems recommending them, and admitted that Eagle has come a very long way. My set balanced to within 0.6 grams, out of the box.

Tolerances were all within .002", as well. Can they be better? Sure. Now my set are within tolerances of .0005", and balanced to exactly 0.0 grams.

With Pauters at least, you tend to get that kind of tolerance, out of the box. Personally, I would never run ANY rod without verifying everything, first - so to me, the Eagles are just as good, after having them checked out.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
I know a guy running Eagles ESP rods on his 2JZ making just under 900rwhp. So you might want to consider them too.

Edit: He races regularly too.

turbodriz

mk3 onwer
Feb 25, 2006
newyork....N.c
There is nothing wrong with eagles. It is just that I might want to experiment with a hp more than600hp and I haven't heard enough people goin a 7 and 8oohp number on them. I would be more comfortable if there where more people in that range. Hopefully more people will chime in.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Probably a google search would do you better. I personally beleive you would need to make a rediculous amount of power or have some crude tuning to bend or break any of these rods from what I've heard.

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
MRSUPRA said:
Probably a google search would do you better. I personally beleive you would need to make a rediculous amount of power or have some crude tuning to bend or break any of these rods from what I've heard.

this is pretty much correct.. it would be very hard to break or bend a rod if properly installed.