rod/main bearings

hornet7288

Oct 18, 2005
Savannah, GA
So I just received my 6m remanufactured crank in the mail. The crank was supposed to have been sent with ACL or clevite bearings. While they did send ACL thrust washers, the rod bearings are "ITM engine components" and the main bearings are .50mm over federal mogul bearings. Just making sure, but I should probably get ACL or clevites correct? Just wondering if anyone had ever used these other bearings that were sent with the crankshaft.

hornet7288

Oct 18, 2005
Savannah, GA
Oh wow that's pretty sweet. I went ahead and ordered some clevite main bearings and ACL rod bearings. I just figured that I would rather be safe than sorry. Especially when it comes to a 7m.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Hornet- You bought the same sizes, right? (.50 undersize)
PS- Are you in the Facebook Georgia Supra Owners group?

din904

Oct 25, 2010
Jacksonvile,FL.
The clevites are reboxed ndc bearings which is a good quality bearing I would stick with those there a proven high hp bearing. Acl bearings are quality if I was building a 2j thats the bearing to use but the 7m version are reboxed not true Acl and Ive been told that the quality is not there. According to rich from sip the Malta dragster was using clevite bearings also. One more thing buy from a reputable source to much fake China crap being sold I personally buy them from summit racing you may pay a little more but you know what your getting!

hornet7288

Oct 18, 2005
Savannah, GA
Yea I purchased the same size for the rods and mains. I am having a really hard time finding .020 over piston rings. Any suggestions? I ordered some on ebay and they returned my money saying they were out of stock and did not know when the next shipment would arrive from NPR.

I am not in the supra group on facebook...I used to be, but I got rid of my facebook.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Too bad you're not on FB anymore. We have local mk2/mk3 meets on a semi-regular basis.

What part of Atlanta are you in? I'm in Lawrenceville. LMK if you need anything for your build.

hornet7288

Oct 18, 2005
Savannah, GA
Sweet...any opinions on moly vs chrome/steel rings?

I believe the ITM ones are moly and the engine tech are chrome.

Last edited:
Mine were real ACL bearings i got from rock auto. The beck/arnly box looked about 20 years old. I had ACLs in it before which I still have the box for them and they were extremely old as well, The new bearings were identical to the ones I removed.

hornet7288

Oct 18, 2005
Savannah, GA
Rock auto has the following:

Sealed power - $ 91.79
ITM engine components - $ 55.89
DNJ Engine components - $ 34.99

I hate to pay 92 bucks if the sealed power ones are really no better than either of the other two options.