rod cap problem

shane87turbo

yea it used to run 12's
Apr 4, 2005
coco crispies ,tx
ok i am putting my motor back togather and am having a bit of trouble concerning the rod caps. when they are loose i can spin the crank freely but when i torque em i can not spin the motor at all . i am torquing then in 3 steps 25lb. ft then 35 lb. ft and finally 47 lb. ft. it get harder to spin every step until 47 where it no go at all . my question is what could be causing this problem ? the crank and rods went to see the machinist and i had him order the bearings for it . he is reputable and does all the machining for the local toyota dealer. :dunno:

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
Did you measure your clearances? Is there assembly lube in there?

Obviously something is binding and not allowing you to turn the crank. I had mine torqued down properly and no problem spinning the crank.

I think something is wrong. Measure your clearances with the plastigauge thingy. I'll bet they're tight.

shane87turbo

yea it used to run 12's
Apr 4, 2005
coco crispies ,tx
i called the machinist today and he said go one by one tighening them . then try rotating it each time . he also said there should be about 4 to 5 thousandths clearance side to side . we both came to the conclusion that there is probably a bearing that is wrong somewhere . he said find which ones are binding and take em to him to get mic'd for thickness.

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Is your thurst washer installed correctly when you torque everything down?
Coz sometimes when everthing is loose and you turn the crank the thrust washer bearing comes looses and when you tightened everything the crank jams on the washer...

Cheers,
Roy

shane87turbo

yea it used to run 12's
Apr 4, 2005
coco crispies ,tx
i am shure it is in right , number side to the cap .i noticed how they were when i took em out . oh and yes there is assembly lube in there it is clevite assembly lube.