Road race car winter changes (56k no way)

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
i want more videos haha ; )...hey have you came accrossed any other mk3 supras while racing or even raced against another..?

EDIT: do you have to have glass windows.? also can you have fibeglass doors im sure that would save weight..or would it cost you points...?

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
As far as weight most things are free weight wise you just take the points for weight reduction i belive its 1 point per 15 lbs. my doors are completely hallow just the skins so there is not much weight. If i change the hinges to pins i could save some weight there. My main constrain is budget right now. I never dump alot of money into the car i prefer to just improve myself. Lexan hatch and windshield could save me another 40-50 lbs but that would cost around 3-500 dollars.

as far as videos i have a ton of videos i just cant cut them down to host them.

my username on youtube is kjbrew01 all my videos are there

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
I understand what you're sayin about the vids. I wish I could do what you're doing, but there are no tracks nearby, unfortunately :(

supraguru05

SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
not really any by me either i drive between 2-6 hours to get to tracks. its just part of racing.

updates. car is being reassembled. i am waiting on some upper mounts im making on a cnc and then the front is ready to go back together. the rear i am waiting on two bushings from toyota. I also have remade my sway bar end links and reinforced the rear sway bar mounts since one was already cracking.

supraguru05

SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
The bushings for the rear uprights came in from Toyota. Rear end will go back together this weekend. The oiling system will also be re-plumbed this weekend. I need to take some pictures so hopefully there will be some good updates next week.

also summit racing now carries canton racing products so no one should ever have issues getting a oil system on their car anymore here is what I am running now.

-10 mocal oil thermostat
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTR-22-625/ billet canton filter mount

you don't need this crazy mount but do not run the cast permacool mount it will leak or crack

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTR-22-595/

this is the oil filter adapter by canton. I strongly recommend this piece. It gives you the best clearance to the exhaust manifold, and on stock vehicles the best clearance to the lower intercooler pipe.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-70274/

this cooler is to big for street cars. however this product line has some really nice coolers at good prices in lots of sizes

supraguru05

SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
UPDATE:

New sway bar end links are finished. see pictures below for the old and new endlinks. My suspension upper mounts are almost finished. I have done a minor redesign and have to remill a couple pieces before they can go on the car. The second oil cooler is removed and the system is re plumbed. A new catch can with more volume and -12 fitting is installed.

p1530419_1.jpg

p1530419_2.jpg

p1530419_3.jpg

p1530419_4.jpg

p1530419_5.jpg

p1530419_6.jpg

p1530419_7.jpg

supraguru05

SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
Supraholics;1530446 said:
Great to see Supras road racing!!! Great job. I like your approach, improve yourself first, then improve on the car as needed!

Yea the car is basically stock. Just has race rubber, shocks springs and sway bars. Everything else is just maintenance and reliability upgrades. My car is way underpowered but that forces me to drive it like a momentum car which should aid me when I jump to spec racing.

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

hvyman;1530450 said:
Are you on stock brakes?

yes stock brakes are more than adequate, despite what non-racers say. Only issue with them is heat management and pad selection.

supraguru05

SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
IJ.;1530463 said:
How does it behave at speed without the wing?

Being from an engineering background my immediate response is, I have no data acquisition therefore I have no idea how not having the wing affects it. The factory wings are so low I doubt they were getting much airflow. A proper sized and located wing is on my table of things to explore. That is after I get a data acquisition system to see how the rear tire loads are changing and if I require additional rear grip in the corners. As of right now I am fighting understeer, which I am correcting for with trail braking. Also roll induced camber change is reeking havoc on my tires so I need to get that under control first.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Sorry I should have asked is there any noticable lift with no rear spoiler? ;)

Always liked the look just worried for top end runs it might end up a little floaty due to the body shape and the ride height I need to run to cope with some of the crap roads here.

supraguru05

SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
I don't notice any issue with float, however there are not many high speed turns on the track I run. At Mid Ohio I hit 130 on the backstretch but its in a straight line. My concern aerodynamic wise lays with the front since I do not have an under tray on currently and do not have a splitter.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
hmmmm once mine's back together I might do some testing...

At the moment it drives nicely at 150+ but it's a little hard at slow speeds so I may have to look at the low speed shock valving and see if I can soften it a little.

supraguru05

SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
IndyMK3;1530468 said:
hey you coming to the Indy Meet? have you thought about competing in the winged warrior event?

I am pretty much busy until after may due to school and FSAE competition. Also I do not have autocross race tires so I would get destroyed at winged warrior.