Road America Track day - 92 Supra Turbo !IN CAR ADDED!

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Here are some pictures and video from my track day this past weekend at Road America. best lap was a 2:53. In car video coming soon.

Enjoy!

In car session one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbCfO2TUjzs

In car session two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v3WiddoJ88
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0PP05Q9Zts

In car session three
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8D0bqYbYGc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73F6JTqxNNA

Out of Car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiwGg1dE7KU

p1552380_1.jpg

p1552380_2.jpg

p1552380_3.jpg

p1552380_4.jpg

p1552380_5.jpg

p1552380_6.jpg

p1552380_7.jpg

p1552380_8.jpg

PS if someone that knows how to make sigs can make one for me with some of these pictures that would be awesome!

p1552380_9.jpg

Totaled evo lost it on the exit of 13...can't figure out how he did it...

Last edited:

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Very nice. What suspension and brakes are you running?

I plan to take my Supra to a NASA track day at Road Atlanta one of these days.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
The suspension is Stock springs/shocks(TEMS) with Whiteline adjustable sway bars (front is on medium, rear is on soft). Tires are Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs on MK4 wheels in the stock sizes. Brakes are brembo OE replacements, Porterfield R4S pads, Techna-Fit Stainless lines, and ATE Super Blue/TYP200 brake fluid.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Well they definitely did fade in my first session. I could not get all the air bled out during our 2 hour lunch break so I am unsure about what to actually say. My pedal normally moves about .5" and then feels solid but after the first session it was just 3" of mush. With that said I was still able to haul the car down from 130, 125 and 125 3 times a lap and never was unable to stop, however the pedal feel was unnerving until I got used to it.

I will need to do another track to to be able to tell for sure if I consistently boil the ATE fluid out there. My first run was with an instructor so I that I could run alone/with passengers and listening to him helped cooked the brakes, I would have been a little easier on them and prevented the issue from starting (I think). I would also recommend going with a more track oriented pad as well. I liked the R4S out there but I do think I had some pad fade at certain times, but truthfully with my shitty ass pedal feel I could not tell you for sure...Time to get a 4th gen that has real brakes stock :)

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
I have a similair brake setup and get the same results at Race City here in Calgary as you did. My theory is that the fluid is now the weakest link in the brakes. The R4S pads will melt before the brakes fade due to gassing (the steel backing plate will creep due to pressure/temperature). I'm willing to bet that the fade you noticed was pedal slop from the fluid boiling. At this point you're not likely to hurt anything too badly, but your brake fluid is probably completely shot now. If you get a higher temperature brake fluid, you'll remove the last 'weak link' in the system which will mean you'll push the brakes even harder... making temps even higher. The only real big change to make going forward is more brake rotor mass and more radius: BBK :(

You probably also cooked off any anti-squeal paste that was on the pads, lol! Have you noticed if they squeak or squeal more at really low speeds around town?

The pics are awesome, by the way.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
get some front ducts and that will fix the boiling issue. I am on stock calipers and do not have an issue running ate super blue.

simple ducts with some 3 inch hose will make a world of difference. also you should be bleeding your brakes at least once each day at the track.

Last edited:

johnd

Supramania Contributor
Dec 4, 2007
Ont. CA.
supraguru05;1552681 said:
get some front ducts and that will fix the boiling issue. I am on stock calipers and do not have an issue running ate super blue.

and as i am sure you know, being a mechanical engineer, the cobra brakes are not an upgrade and depending on the piston size the ARZ brakes may not increase braking torque either.

simple ducts with some 3 inch hose will make a world of difference. also you should be bleeding your brakes at least once each day at the track.

Being a mechanical engineer can you explain please.

supradjza80 great pics, how do you like those direzza's for track?

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Je suis aussi un ingénieur en mécanique, mais je ne comprends pas.

Sorry, I mean, how is a 13" brake rotor not an upgrade to an 11.7" rotor, with a caliper change to suit? More mass, more radius, more mechanical advantage. Less heat will be generated for the same stop simply due to the change in mechanical advantage the caliper has on the rotor, I would think.

Sure, tires are always the limiting factor and I don't mean to turn this thread into a debate, but I'm very interested to hear how the ARZ or cobra brakes are not an upgrade to the stock brakes.

supraguru05

SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
ok i'm going to edit my original post to prevent from ruining this threads purpose here is a link to why i said what i said

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...bias-discussion&highlight=brake+proportioning

mechanical leverage doesnt matter if you decrease the force proportionally. since the OP is a member or was of an FSAE team and he was a major poster in the thread above thats what I was referenceing in that he knew what I was talking about.

back to the topic. If you know which picture you want made into a signature I can do it for you. Just PM me a link to the picture

supraguru05

SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
track record for a comparable car is around a 2:44, but thats on slicks

on street tires thats a good time.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Sawbladz;1552541 said:
Or do an upgrade to with the Cobra kit or ARZs kit.

Haha, yep this is an option but I am planning on buying a mk4 in the next year anyway (its always been my dream car) so its just another excuse!

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

Keros

Thanks for the comments on the pictures, the camera man did a pretty good job, I am loving the one with the Toyota bridge in the background! With regard to the fluid I think the fluid boiled in the first session and caused there to be air in the system which made the pedal suck the rest of the day ( I have not had a chance to re bleed them since I got home so we will see if I can get it back to good or if potentially the master is crapping out on me). But the pedal felt like crap even after the brakes were cold so it is either air in the system or a bad master cylinder. Thanks for your insight from your track experience though.

Supraguru

Yeah ducting would fix the problem probably, so that may be in order. We did bleed the brakes and I did get air out at each caliper after my first session but I could not get the pedal to improve.

johnd

The Dunlops are the most impressive tires I have ever used. They still have not even worn 1/32nd off the tread and have ~2k miles on them and 120 miles from RA on them. They grip well wet or dry...I am stunned, especially with a UGTQ of 200.

IJ - the video camera man was my Dad...he was having some issues but it is still better than nothing :) The photo camera was a friend of mine doing some guerrilla spectating to get some great pictures.

7thousand - Thanks and definitely take it to the track, that is really what these cars were meant for.

In car video will be posted tonight. I have 20-30 minutes of it, unfortunately my last sessions were cut off though, ran out of card space.