"right stuff" gasket maker?

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
hey guys, putting my engine back together and i've been using the right stuff on several places.

my question: is there anywhere i should opt for a paper/felt gasket?

i'm thinking the coolant hardlines/bypass lines that run around the block should have an actual gasket instead of the right stuff, due to the fact that the gasket maker would ooze out on the inside and out and eventually impede coolant flow.

am i alright to continue, or should i switch to paper/felt gaskets?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
If there's a gasket available, I use it. You can spray with copper sealer if you want.

SilverSupraT

7M '78 Toyota Pickup
Oct 3, 2005
Eastern WA
www.geocities.com
jetjock;1103333 said:
X2. You won't find a drop of cheez-whiz on my engine. You won't find a drop of anything else either...

Oil pan? I read that not using a gasket worked. I used a gasket on mine when did a quickie bottom end rebuild and it's leaking. I was pretty sure I prepped it right, maybe it was just warped somehow that I missed?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I used the Right Stuff on my oil pan (no gasket), but that was the only place on the motor. It works well.
You can also use it on the differential cover and auto tranny pan.

NavySupra

Sep 30, 2005
Langley, BC, Canada
I like coating most gaskets in high-tach spray a gasket. Black rtv is good in combination with a gasket for the oilpan. Only real way to eliminate oil pan leaks is to have a much thicker flange that is true

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Stock, the oil pan doesn't have a gasket.

The rest of the egine there are tons of gaskets, and it would have been cheaper to use something like FIPG everywhere, but it's obvious they didn't for a reason...

SilverSupraT

7M '78 Toyota Pickup
Oct 3, 2005
Eastern WA
www.geocities.com
jetjock;1103477 said:
Gasket. Sounds like your problem involved the "quickie" part....

100% guarantee that was the problem.

The car had RK and was sitting. I NEEDED it done in two days. So I just rebuilt the bottom end. I'm confident I got the internals right so if a slightly drippy oil pan is my biggest problem, then I'll be happy.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Loctite 515(Gasket Eliminator) plus a gasket, applied on both side of gasket, plus a CLEAN surface, = no leaks:icon_bigg
i work on 3,000,000 dollar engines, so trust me it works. as for cork gaskets, well we dont have those on the mkIII, i dont think.

or is the oil pan gasket??

high tac is good stuff too.

Last edited:

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
ive been using a thin coat on both sides of my gaskets (except the hg obviously) to ensure a good seal.... i dont think any will get in the motor unless you put too much

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
I coated all my gaskets with permatex 'Indian Head' gasket shellac

Used T.R.S. for my oil pan, and the sealant where the TSRM specifies on the cam caps