Ridiculous 1000HP 7M Street MK3 Build

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
Sup,

Thought id share my progress so far with my build as I think it's getting close to where there's actually something to show. It's been about 7 years now since I left my supra in the garage after I blew off the ringland on #5 piston. The engine failed because I simply cut corners on my previous build and pushed it too hard (20psi on 67mm turbo with stock internals). I promised myself i'd build the car right one day. Well I got a good job last October and cut alot of my expenses out so I think I have enough money now to do things how I always wanted.

Alot of people suggested I should go with a 2JZ but I'm sticking with the 7M simply because I think it's a ridiculously reliable engine when built right. My half assed 7M was making 500whp 7 years ago so I never saw the need for the 2JZ besides that engine having a larger aftermarket. Also, I will actually be building TWO 7M's in sequence so the cost of the motors is much cheaper. The first 7M will be my experimental engine and the 2nd will be a backup and possibly the more expensive engine (titanium rods, cnc ported head etc).

So last november or so I started redoing my entire garage. This was the first step to doing it "right".

pulled the car out first time in several years. Door locks were seized and had to spray lube into the keyhole
6xjo.jpg

had to scrape all the old shitty paint off the floor
ov2j.jpg

I quit scraping and rented this beast
1kp7.jpg

countless hours later (leeeeet the ggaames beegin!!)
34ts.jpg

finally ready to paint
u1b7.jpg

done
9dnw.jpg

ripped out old shelving, painted walls, new lighting and storage cabinets
d9ps.jpg

So after about a year now of upgrading the garage bit by bit this is how my work/fab area looks today. Just installed the stainless table and a proper vise. The head I have been working on is on the table
zn16.jpg

Also here are all the parts I have accumulated over the last year. Yes, I have a parts room.
fefm.jpg

So the idea is to properly build a reliable 1000whp 7M-GTE and then go from there.

Cylinder Head (Machine work to be done at National Cylinder Head in Tampa)
  • Extensive porting/polishing and reshaping of combustion chamber
  • Full Ferrea Valve Train 1mm OS valves, Dual Valve springs, Bronze Manganese Guides, Valve Locks
  • Standard 3 angle valve job
  • Toyota Shimless buckets
  • Brian Crower 272 8.68mm Lift Cams (may change these to a custom set of TED billet cams later)

Block (Machine work to be done by Engine Labs in Tampa)
  • Custom Arias Pistons
  • Pauter Rods
  • Stock ReNitrited 7M Crankshaft
  • Pro Gram Billet Mains
  • Supra Sport 7M-GTE Girdle,
  • 8qrt Dooley Enterprises oil pan with trap doors
  • ATI Damper

Once I have the engine I will be going down this list randomly most likely. I already have some of these parts.

• Ron Ramirez Long Runner Intake Manifold
  • Custom Twin Scroll Exhaust Manifold
  • Borg Warner S366 Turbo (to start with)
  • Precision 44mm Wastegate
  • Custom Exhaust
  • ProEFI 128 with custom harness
  • Name brand, big core intercooler (4-5")
  • Send R154 out for rebuild with Marlin Crawler guts
  • Aluminum driveshaft
  • Refurb subframes (reinforce, install poly bushings)
  • New LSD
  • Suspension (adjustable bars, bushings etc)
  • Install Front 14.25" Wilwood 6 pot brakes (Arizona Performance kit)
  • Install Rear New MKIV BBK
  • Coilovers (not sure yet)
  • Front and rear anti sway bars (not sure yet)
  • Clutch (eyeing Spec Twin Disc)
  • Refurb interior (I have alot of shadow grey goodies)
  • 18" wheels, no clue which...maybe black XXR 521

Im probably missing alot but, I think you get the gist of the scale of the build. Woo Hoo.

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
Just to give you an idea where I am with the head. I am almost done with all the intake ports. Still gotta do the exhaust ports and combustion chambers

ahee.jpg

59zk.jpg

wpjz.jpg

wlz0.jpg

Sinistr

Has Been
Jan 8, 2007
ABQ, NM
Damn man, that's one hell of a revamped work space! Great job on that alone. I'm sure that your build is/should go very well. Best of luck you and be sure to post the progress of your work. Looks like your well on your way to 1000+ HP

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
You're going to need some other bits... fuel pumps, injectors, bigger fuel lines, a bunch of PITA work on the tank to accommodate the above, bigger radiator, and a crapload of ARP bolts. For instance, stock flywheel bolts don't hold at that power level, the heads tear off them at somewhere near 900hp. I don't recall exactly what power level Duane was at when they went, but I remember pulling the transmission and having all the bolt heads fall into my hand!

Tougher motor mounts, too. Stock ones last a couple weeks at higher power levels.

Loose Boost

Aug 14, 2013
SoCal
It's nice to see someone using the 7M. 2J this 2J that, you could probably start a reactions video of people when you tell them the XXX feet of rubber you just laid down was done with the "prehistoric dinosaur head gasket blowing" 7m-gte. What are you thinking for exhaust? Some of the mk4 guys seem to love running the random tech cat (but I don;t know how well it flows), you thinking of going catless? Checkout this badass MK3 on youtube with a custom exhaust.. I thought it sounded pretty mean, if anything it's something to help keep ya goin :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHU_MD5L1x0&list=PL20PfOKISpr3ssUo3raE4M-KUQbdUEmzF&index=23

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
Wow, alot of people subscribing. Thanks everyone for the comments :) I'll keep you guys updated as progress is made. I hope to get the car running sometime end of year.

GrimJack;1961367 said:
You're going to need some other bits... fuel pumps, injectors, bigger fuel lines, a bunch of PITA work on the tank to accommodate the above, bigger radiator, and a crapload of ARP bolts. For instance, stock flywheel bolts don't hold at that power level, the heads tear off them at somewhere near 900hp. I don't recall exactly what power level Duane was at when they went, but I remember pulling the transmission and having all the bolt heads fall into my hand!

Tougher motor mounts, too. Stock ones last a couple weeks at higher power levels.

You brought up some good points. Yeah I guess I forgot to mention the fuel system. I do have a custom sump gas tank already so that's going to be a good starting point but I have a long ways before I start on that stuff. I guess I want to have an engine first. I also have a reinforced rear subframe with solid bushings waiting to get installed. Also, yeah...the ARP's are a given I would think. The 7M actually has 12mm head bolts vs 2JZ having 10mm That's why the 2JZ guys need to go with the 1/2" stud upgrade or L19 studs for reliable 1000hp+. So ironically the 7M doesn't have head lifting issues at high boost like the stock 2JZ as long as ARP's are used.

bhmsupra;1961421 said:
Glad to see you are using the Pan I sold you. Good luck with the build man, looking good so far!

Thanks. Yeah that pan is pretty sweet, I may modify it slightly to clear the subframe better but otherwise its gonna work well I think :)

Loose Boost;1961427 said:
It's nice to see someone using the 7M. 2J this 2J that, you could probably start a reactions video of people when you tell them the XXX feet of rubber you just laid down was done with the "prehistoric dinosaur head gasket blowing" 7m-gte. What are you thinking for exhaust? Some of the mk4 guys seem to love running the random tech cat (but I don;t know how well it flows), you thinking of going catless? Checkout this badass MK3 on youtube with a custom exhaust.. I thought it sounded pretty mean, if anything it's something to help keep ya goin :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHU_MD5L1x0&list=PL20PfOKISpr3ssUo3raE4M-KUQbdUEmzF&index=23

lol, I am not against the 2JZ or anything. I think they both have their pro's and cons but it's a shame more people don't build 7M's. Right now the car has a modified 3.5" MKIV Tanabe Super Medalion exhaust. I may just keep that since the 7M sounded nice when it was running last.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Subscribed!

I stayed 7M and am happy.. only shooting for 500'ish... but looking forward to watching your build. I just tell people I have a stroker 2j when they ask... lol. 7M out-torques.