Riced supra help

Pikkonslaw

Oct 11, 2013
Drew mississippi
I bought a riced out 88 turbo supra and I'm new to the import cars. The car has a was sitting for a while with a blown head gasket which I have found to be a regular problem. The guy I got it from said he replaced it with a metal gasket and torqued it to 75. But it still has a slight miss I plan on getting it looked at at a local import performance shop but I was wandering what can be done to these cars to get a good bit of hp without spending too much money and how to build it to be dependable image.jpg

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Best three things you can do to the car.
1. Catch up 100% on all maintenance items.
2. Put a quality 3" Turbo-back exhaust on.
3. Clean it thoroughly.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
75 ft-lbs is as high as you would ever want to go with the stock bolts, and for even moderately upgraded engines, is fine. (72 is the number that Reg Reimer came up with having the stock bolts tested as keeping them in their elastic region, and more than that will stretch the bolt, resulting in less clamping force.)

IF the head gasket job was done correctly, you should be fine there. If it was done without machining the block and head properly, then a metal head gasket will not seal correctly.

As for the "rice" -- while I would personally not choose that colour or the vinyls, I don't think that it looks that bad. Better if there's something under the hood to back it up though. Get your engine running well, then start with the power adders, and you can have a very fun car to drive.

Pikkonslaw

Oct 11, 2013
Drew mississippi
Yeah I don't plan on keeping it green at all but I'm going to put money in the mechanics before I worry about paint so it might be green for a while and it has a 3" dc sport cat back system but I've been doing some research and I think I'm going to get the bic divorced downpipe and test pipe and just get rid of the cats all together and it has a cheap turbo inlet that doesn't quite fit right with where the power steering pump is so I'm going to have to replace that with one that is actually made for the car so any suggestions on that and also the regular intake

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
If you simply strip the green paint off the interior parts, i think the car will last alot longer....people wont try to set it on fire...
But yeah, a BIC pipe and proper intake is a good place to start. As for the intake, did you need a new accordian section, or just the filter unit?

AnubisMK3

Jul 31, 2012
Milwaukee
Have the interior poly fabric coated, dash etc, and wtf is with the red seats......anyway she's clean but fuggles, get her running good and get a paint job and
you've got a nice looking machine there.

Pikkonslaw

Oct 11, 2013
Drew mississippi
He said he didn't have it machined so I'm guessing that it's not sealing right so that's probably why it's missing..... Looks like I'm gonna have to do the head gasket job all over myself so any tips to do the job right

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Pikkonslaw;1971164 said:
He said he didn't have it machined so I'm guessing that it's not sealing right so that's probably why it's missing..... Looks like I'm gonna have to do the head gasket job all over myself so any tips to do the job right

The simplest way to do it "right" with as little fuss as possible is relatively easy:
1. Replace the headgasket with an OEM Toyota gasket.
2. Use ARP Head Bolts or Studs/Nuts
3. Torque to 75 ft-lbs
4. Flush the cooling and oil systems thoroughly after completing the job. You want to clean out contaminated fluids as best you can.

Pikkonslaw

Oct 11, 2013
Drew mississippi
And yeah I need to accordion piece too the whole thing is gone and has a build a breather type kit in its place is there an intake kit that comes with the regular intake and the turbo intake

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Pikkonslaw;1971166 said:
And yeah I need to accordion piece too the whole thing is gone and has a build a breather type kit in its place is there an intake kit that comes with the regular intake and the turbo intake

Two good options for the accordion hose:
1: OEM Toyota (They're not that expensive new)

2: HPS Silicone Hose (Driftmotion sells them)
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-7msiliconeaccordianhose.php

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Pikkonslaw;1971168 said:
So oem is better than the metal one?
No. A metal headgasket is superior to the OEM headgasket.

However, in order for a metal headgasket to seal and work properly, you must machine both the head and block, which requires complete disassembly of the engine. You can use an OEM headgasket with ARPs to give good reliability (much better than stock) without the huge amount of extra work required to do a metal headgasket properly.

Pikkonslaw;1971171 said:
And with the silicone one I would just have to buy a filter to fit it

I think you need to be more clear as to what type of intake your car needs. There are three major components of the air intake in a stock car. The accordion hose, the AFM, and the intake filter itself. They're laid out in this order:

Turbo Inlet -> Accordion Hose -> AFM (Airflow Meter) -> Intake (Something like an Apex'i kit works great).
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-apexi507-t001.php

Now, keep searching this site for any other questions you may have, it's all out there, and my fingers are getting tired. :)

Pikkonslaw

Oct 11, 2013
Drew mississippi
Well I'm honestly not sure I mean I didn't see what it looked like stock I know I need everything from the turbo out to the filter and I thought there was another intake other than the one on the turbo. If so I was gonna upgrade that too but maybe I'm wrong ha never messed with an import like this or even anything with a turbo I'm better with big block ford engines ha