rewire the coil pack connector

Alang

Nov 6, 2006
Las Vegas
Been seeing an apparent coil pack wire to harness connector issue that shows itself with a slight miss in warm restarts after parking for periods of time. I find that moving the connector a bit relieves it. I was led to this after an afterfire symptom (blown out muffler) led to a no start status where no spark from the coils was observed and a simple wiggle and unplug/replug got things going again.
I'm guessing that a repinning of the wires into the connector sides would fix this. So...
I'm thinking that I could get replacement pins, pull the wires/pins out of the connectors, cut off the old ones, strip the wire ends, and crimp on the new connectors?
What size are the wires and what pins am I looking for? Available at autozone etc? or??

Alang

Nov 6, 2006
Las Vegas
lilmartian09;1769156 said:
Im pretty sure autozone has some wire for you to use to fix that. As for pins I would say check this web out and---->http://easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html go under connectors. Then go under either sumitomo MT or sumitomo HM sealed series. Then scroll all the way down and your pins are right there. Maybe they got some wires there for you as well

See this reference for various connectors on the sumitomo section in the above website which has some very good DIY instruction pages

"Fits wires from .5mm - 1.25mm (22 - 16 AWG)"

Do you know the size of our coil pack harness wires?
Are these pins interchangeable with the stock pins?

My concern is if I have to use another stock coil pack harness wire w/connector to plug into the harness.

lilmartian09

Apr 1, 2010
El Paso, Texas, United States
I believe the wires are 16awg.(Need facts on that). And yes pins are interchangeable. Yes you can still use your original harness or you can change it with a different kind of connector. Ive used some camry connectors before because I couldnt find a much similar 4 pin connector since mine were all very sensitive. But since I found the easternbeaver web ill be using those instead since they are fresh and new.