Reverse engineering our engine - Solidworks

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
This is sort of a random one, I'm trying to build a 7M engine... in Solidworks :aigo:

I'm working on making the crankshaft right now, and I'm basically working off of a few images I have, and a very small amount of measurements from the TSRM, such as the journal diameters...

I am assuming that I have this set up correctly, as far as the location of the 2 circles for the rod journals relative to the main journal, the stroke of 91mm is from the center of each one, and centered to the midpoint. Is this correct?

And if you guys are interesting in what I have done so far:

This is my first quarter taking Solidworks, and I love it, I'll take a job doing this any day :biglaugh: Any comments or critique would be appreciated!

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
RedEj8;1026235 said:
Thats very cool, except the piston crowns need to be rotated 90*. haha

*Doh*

Good call, that's an easy fix :biglaugh:

This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Nice! I loved working with Solidworks in my freshman class a few years back. It's easy to learn and actually is quite capable with all the extra add-ons.

I'll be watching and waiting for the animated video... ;)

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
emiliorescigno;1026299 said:
I just love the fact that the first completed part is the headgasket...

Great work!

Like a true 7M Owner :biglaugh: It's made out of steel too ;)

I actually started with the piston though.

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm having a hell of a time with the crank, if anyone has any good images, please let me know!

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
Good job man! I haven't taken a SW class in nearly 3 years...but i still play around with it designing wheels. If i had access to a cnc i'd actually program in some stuff i could use..but alas, tis not so :(

Looking forward to progress!

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Does this help?

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
A little bit, that's basically the picture I already have from my crank lol Thanks though :)

If someone has more of a side profile, so I can see the different shapes of the counterweights, that would be awesome!

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
Jaguar_5;1026704 said:
A little bit, that's basically the picture I already have from my crank lol Thanks though :)

If someone has more of a side profile, so I can see the different shapes of the counterweights, that would be awesome!

why not just get an extra one to pull measurements off of

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Clueless;1026740 said:
why not just get an extra one to pull measurements off of

Because that would cost money?

Thanks Emilio, that helps show the profile of the weird angular counterweights :)

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Jaguar_5;1026176 said:
This is my first quarter taking Solidworks, and I love it, I'll take a job doing this any day :biglaugh: Any comments or critique would be appreciated!

Nice work man. The pistons, block, and headgasket look fairly straight forward. The crank looks like a pain though.

I actually just got a job doing this :), but its only with aluminum parts:(

what version are you using? 07' student edition?

Keep it up i want to see what you used to make the counterweight shapes and what you do when you get to the head. Thats what kept me from doing this as an end of the year project when i took that class.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
americanjebus;1028014 said:
Nice work man. The pistons, block, and headgasket look fairly straight forward. The crank looks like a pain though.

I actually just got a job doing this :), but its only with aluminum parts:(

what version are you using? 07' student edition?

Keep it up i want to see what you used to make the counterweight shapes and what you do when you get to the head. Thats what kept me from doing this as an end of the year project when i took that class.

Thanks Luis :)

Yeah that is the version I am using.

The crank is going to be simplified a little bit, after all it would still be machined after they make it! It isn't turning out to be too hard though... I'm making it as a sub-assembly with all the journals and weights being their own parts...

The block is actually turning out to be a huge PITA beyond what I already have... Got any tips since you're using Solidworks as well? Haven't even thought about the head yet lol, I'm sure it will be at least as challenging as the block.

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
Thats so cool that you guys get to learn solid works....we had to learn Pro Engineer up here at the university of alberta. What a PITA program. I love solid works, it's so easy to use and mechanize.

At my last job i was a design engineer and all they use is solid works and i was the goto guy. If you need any help at all give me a shout or ask a question. I guarantee i can help you out.

I have a buddy who made a fully animated STI boxter engine. That thing was sick!! Took him a week using Pro E.

It's looking good so far. As far as sugeestions go just try to keep it simple with as few of features as possible. Whenever you reference edges and such, reference the Sketch not the surface. This is very important because solidworks loves to crash if you ever have to go back and modify it later. Try to incorporate chamfers and rounds into your sketches rather than using the chamfer/round tool because it also loves to fail if you ever have to change the surface its on.

If you already knew that then your good to go. Otherwise looks good. Keep up the good work man!!