Rev limiter: fuel cut or spark cut?

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
Hi all,
I tried the search, but I didn't come up with anything useful. I wondered if the rev limiter on the 7M-GTE cuts fuel or spark.....
I'd guess it should be fuel cut since excessive fuel because of spark cut might damage the cats, but I'm not sure.
Can anyone tell for sure?
Thanks!

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
i think don't count

think of it at a logical standpoint.

If we have ignition cut. Fuel will still come out of injectors and out the tail pipe unburned. What does the EPA NOT like?????
Also what would happen the MINUTE we turned igntiin back on with UNBRUNED fuel in the exhaust?... 2 step anyone ;)

we have FUEL cut rev limiter.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
mk3ukr said:
I think it cuts ignition first, then at rpm level 100 or 200 higher cuts fuel. To cut fuel only is dangerous, you can lean out and melt pistons
Vladimir, 89T

no

completely cutting fuel will not do anything

zero fuel means ZERO combustion.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
I would think it would be ign.... I usually get flames out the exhaust on the rev limiter...... Gotta be some unburnt fuel there for flames... However, I could have no idea what I'm talking about also!

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
gixxer750 said:
I would think it would be ign.... I usually get flames out the exhaust on the rev limiter...... Gotta be some unburnt fuel there for flames... However, I could have no idea what I'm talking about also!

think about that... what would the good ole EPA say about that much unburnt HC coming out the tailpipe??

Trust me it is not igntion cut. There was a thread where one guy controlling the injectors with a haltech went up to 10k rpm. Stock ecu was still controlling the ignition ;)

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
figgie said:
no

completely cutting fuel will not do anything

zero fuel means ZERO combustion.

When I said about leaning out I meant stupidly keeping gas pedal down and bouncing on - off rev limiter.
Just now checked AEM base calibration file for mk3.
Ignition cut - 7200rpm
Fuel cut - 7400rpm
I am not sure if they imitated rev limiter parameters from stock ECU, but it is way more higher than stock 6500rpm
Vladimir, 89T

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
Thanks for your replies guys, even if they're rather controversial, lol.
I'm just asking because I'm probably getting an e-manage ultimate, which is supposed to be able to disable the factory rev limiter IF the rev limiter is only cutting fuel.
So if it's possible to increase the rev limit by controlling injection with the Haltech, I guess it should also work with the eman (provided that I get it to work with the 7M-GTE at all).... woot.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
mk3ukr said:
When I said about leaning out I meant stupidly keeping gas pedal down and bouncing on - off rev limiter.
Just now checked AEM base calibration file for mk3.
Ignition cut - 7200rpm
Fuel cut - 7400rpm
I am not sure if they imitated rev limiter parameters from stock ECU, but it is way more higher than stock 6500rpm
Vladimir, 89T

there is a reason why AEM, Motec, Haltec, electromotive all put a DISCLAIMER on the stand alones that basically states:

"This part is for OFF ROAD USE only."

Again standalones do thing differently hence why NONE of them can legally be used on the street.