Returning to the fold

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
Hi all,

I've been lurking on this site for a few months while doing research, but just registered a few days ago. Been registered on another big Supra site for a year or two under this same user name.

Back in the dark ages, when SOGI members communicated using the majordomo mail forwarding system, I was a very active member of SOGI Southeast. I had a 1990 Turbo, white with blue cloth, sunroof, TEMS, sawblades.

Long story short, I modded, it blew a head gasket. I added ARP studs & a MHG, it blew a head gasket. I had a pro do a full rebuild, new Wiseco pistons, .10 over, new bearings, rods & crank were machined, etc. Rebuilt the CT-26 to a T04E equivalent, o-ringed the block, copper head gasket, blah, blah, blah... blew another head gasket WHILE IDILING in morning commute traffic less than a year later.

Oh, and I was running a turbo-back 3" stainless exhaust that was made by a SOGI member whose name I forget, as well as the once infamous Pete Sterling Semi-Electronic Boost Controller (PSSEBC) with a couple of custom mods, @ about 10psi for daily use.

Ditched it, and chalked it up to a very expensive lesson learned.

In the meantime, I drove a 2001 VW Golf GLS 1.8T, a 2003 MINI Cooper S, a 198x Mini City 998 RHD import, a 2005 MINI Cooper S, and currently a 2009 Mazdaspeed3 is my DD.

Never got over the Supra. As much pain as it brought me, I loved that car. So I wanted to buy a MKIV for reliability's sake, but cannot justify the cost. Then I found out that the cost of a 2JZ swap in a MKIII was about half the cost of buying a MKIV. And in researching that, I learned about the 1JZ, of which I was not previously aware. And since I don't need 1,000hp, the 1JZ seemed right up my alley.

I started researching the 1JZ engine, the swap process & costs, etc. And I had decided to find a cosmetically nice MKIII with a blown engine & do the swap. In the process, though, I found a MKIII with the 1JZ swap already done, and cosmetically, 75% of where I want it to be.

I'll be flying to Kentucky this weekend to pick up my new baby:

NOTE: CF hood & headlight covers have been replaced with the stock parts. Works for me, since I don't care for CF.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

It's a 1992, originally, N/A. The 1JZ-GTE swap was done properly, though, by using an R154 transmission and the 3.73 LSD from a turbo car. Teal, sunroof, no TEMS. Recently redone custom 2-tone leather interior. The parts/mods list, as posted on another forum:

New parts: All with less than 5,000 miles on them.

Clutch
Rear main seal
Rack and Pinion, tie rods
Recapped ECU
Spark Plugs
Valve Cover Gaskets
Exhaust
Shocks and Springs
Rear and Front Window Trim
Brake calibers with pads and rotors

Interior
Custom redone 2-tone leather seats
New Dash
White face gauges
Autometer boost gauge (also AFR) on a-pillar pod
JDM rear carpet kit

Exterior
JDM Kouki tail lights
Front signal covers GB
Euro front signal
Rear & Front 2.5 emblem

Performance
HKS intake
HKS Dragger Exhaust
HKS SSQV BOV
Greddy intercooler kit with hard pipes
Greddy Downpipe
Greddy FCD
Greddy Speed limiter
Greddy turbo timer
JIC Magic Strut bar
KOYO Radiator

It's going to need valve guide seals, and I want a full cmpression & leak-down test before I consider any power mods. Realistically, if I can get 350-400whp, I can stop and be happy. But I don't need it tomorrow. I want to take my time & do it right.

I'll be popping in here, and I promise to use the search function & try to find my own answers before I post up the umpteenth repetition of some basic info question about the 1JZ. Hopefully, along the way, I'll make myself useful, if I can remember anything worth knowing about the MKIII platform from back in the day.

Cheers,
Bill C.
Tampa, FL

PS- if my PM's for account activation annoyed any of the moderators or admins of the site, I do apologize. I know I registered on a major holiday. I was just getting antsy. I'll chill now. :naughty:

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
lewis15498;1479291 said:
This cars been for sale for a while. Its beautiful, enjoy it you lucky bastard.

oh yeah, welcome to the mania!

You know, it's almost never fun to be called a bastard, but when it's preceded by "lucky," there is a certain satisfaction to it. lol

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys.

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
Just booked my flight to Lexington for tomorrow, should be taking delivery by 2-3pm. No way I'll make it home in one shot after working all night (I work graveyard shift) & flying all day, so I guess I'll be spending New Year's Eve in Hotlanta! (Unless I need to pass out by the time I reach Chattanooga. lol)