Returning brake vibration

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
My car had a bad brake vibration when I bought it almost two years ago. I replaced the front rotors and the vibration went away entirely. Shortly after, (maybe 6 months) replacing the fronts, the rears started to vibrate. I went to have them turned and found that the new cheap front rotors and old rear rotors were too thin to be turned.

I ordered new Brembo blanks and installed them last summer. I sanded down the pads to fresh material (OEM Toyota pads) and bed in the brakes per brembo's instructions. I did not check the run-out of the rotors upon delivery, but they drove perfectly vibration free for months. :dunno:

Fast forward about 6 months and the vibration started to return. It's now getting worse and worse. What could be causing this? I want to go have them lathed down "on car" so it's true to the axle, but will this be the best course of action?

What can cause rotors to "warp" or vibrate so soon? I dont want to have them turned, if something else needs replacing first.

Cliffs: brake vibration a year ago, replaced rotors, 6 months later vibration returns and has gotten worse and worse.

Thanks for any input, gents.

-Andy

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
More than likely pad material buildup on the rotors actual warping is quite rare.

Also make sure to use a torque wrench when refitting the wheels as this can actually affect disc runout.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
IJ.;1285356 said:
More than likely pad material buildup on the rotors actual warping is quite rare.

Also make sure to use a torque wrench when refitting the wheels as this can actually affect disc runout.

If it is infact pad material build up can I fix that by sanding the rotors down as they spin or is it something that must be lathed off? I'm guessing it would need to be lathed off it is enough build up to vibrate the car/steering wheel.

Any way to keep it from happening every ~10k miles?

I always use a torque wrench. No air gun or misguided regular ratchet tightens my lugs. ;)

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
The rattle gun is sooo amusing to my 2 year old. I'm pretty sure those guys that use it like it too, they even have simmilar lexicon.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
If I remember correctly, if the rotors are hot when they use the rattle gun they can warp the rotors.

I usually tighten mine with a pull till the corner of the car comes off the ground.:evil2:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Just an update:

I sanded the rotors and the vibration is almost gone. I'm sure further sanding would do the trick and eliminate it fully. I'm thinking the old toyota pads may be the cause so I'm going to wait until I get new pads to sand down the rotors to perfection.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
They weren't bedded right, and melted.

After the rotors are cleaned, you can check for runout, parallelism, and warpage.