retiring from the 7m

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
well supra sold to some kid from out of town
car will probaly be totaled in a week lol. I was sad to see it go but I have been working on 7m's since i was 16 So I think It was time to move on to something else. The car taught me alot...I had never rebuilt a motor before And this was my first time and it was very successful Thus I am very proud of myself

I'd like to thank SM for all the massive help and learning I gained on here.

im not leaving Though I got a 1jz TT-R planned in the near future:icon_bigg

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
dsm2fy3.jpg

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
Supra > DSM

I sold my DSM to get into the supra game. Even the AWD 1g's are LAME compared to the supra... theres nothing "refined" about them. Although i work on all of my friends for them since im better with those motors than most people.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
DSMs can be made faster for less cash, just remember to not cheap out on anyting, IE get a shep tranny, a 4 bolt LSD rear and use a 6 bolt block + head. A 20g is awesome on that car.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
faster with less cash?... if your a cheap o and not looking to make much power yes. But the motor wont last in the long run. Shep tranny is like 2-4k all by its self. then the clutch, flywheel, and new fluid. 5k for a good driveline? lol... clutch and a driveshaft plus some gear oil for the supra is under 1500 for a "street" setup.

4-bolt lsd's are kinda hard to get a hold of as they are only found int LATE model 92 and in 93-94. The 3-bolt will take whatever you throw at it for a street car. my buddy has almost 400HP at the crank and he has a STOCK 3-bolt and STOCK transmission.

and 20g's are garbage. There good for topend but once again the 18g is a better turbo for a street car aiming for low 400-450hp.

but thats how i feel about dsm's now. There good for stop light racing. haha

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Lol, trust me. I have a 4 bolt in my garage, a shep, and a stroker motor with a 25gn. The motor was residing in a front wheel, and everything is getting switched to an all wheel shell behind my house. I hate DSMs a lot right now. (cars belong to boostinsupragirl). If you are starting with a clean slate with both cars (AWD 1g), $1000 will net a faster 1/4 mile time (if each car was a standard) in the DSM.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
unfortunately, i dont think you guys know all that much about DSM's if you are saying that 3 bolts can hold 400hp, 18g's and 20g's are good and that a DSM can be faster than a supra for the same or less money.

18g's suck balls, 20g's suck balls. Force peformance turbos will blow away any frankenstein or Fuso truck turbo you can put on the uncouth 4G63.

i broke a 3bolt LSD in my 91 TSi in the RAIN. thats when i had to switch to a 4 bolt. thank god my car was a 6 bolt with a big port head. the only thing on my car that was stock was the head, cams and 14b. everything else was either rebuilt, reconditioned, modified or otherwise upgraded. i refused to switch from the 14b because people were running 12's in full-weight awd's back then and i was still in the 13's (2001). i met Shep, i talked to him, i hung out with him, i spent time with him in the pits, he told me about his one of 3 HKS cast tubular T4 manifolds that he sent out to get coated and was afraid it wouldnt find its way back to him. he talked to me about his (then) custom garrett that was pieced together in some odd combination. i remember sitting behind his car (literally) at the line at Norwalk raceway and watching his car leave sideways in 1st and 2nd gear on slicks, lol. DSM's were fun... if youve never had a turbo car before or just had FWD your whole life. i got out of DSM's to make more power and have a better, overall, engineered car with supras. i made the switch in 2002 and never looked back.

if you go DSM, be prepared to spend more maintaining the car than upgrading and making power. between all the money i spent on that TSi, maybe 25% of that actually contributed to the car going Faster/being quicker.

Intake, DP and exhaust (faster)
then
Clutch and flywheel (Fixing)
then
Boost controller (faster)
then
SAFC, injectors, pump, 12v mod (fixing)
then
FMIC, bov and pipes (faster)
then
Timing belt, BS belt, tensioner and h20 pump (fixing)
then
sticky tires, light wheels (faster)
then
new rear end and built trans and center diff (fixing)

have fun chasing your tail :)