Requesting a pic of the speed sensor on an R154 (need to get ABS and cruise working)

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Since I can't seem to find the definitive answer on getting cruise and ABS working after a 5-speed swap, I've decided to tackle the issue myself. So far, I can figure that the cruise control computer needs to see a signal from that sensor, which is missing from the R154 I installed. I still have the sensor from my automatic and I'm fairly certain I can re-use it, but I need a picture of the sensor in the transmission and sitting on it's own if you have it. The sensor should be in the tail shaft housing on the driver's side.

Thanks in advance!

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
hmm...you are confused

There is no speed sensor on the transmission to my knowlege, only speed related device is mechanically driven which is your speedometer ;)

Next, there is a reverse light switch (passenger side) and a SKID control sensor (driver side) on an R154 for those of us who have ABS.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
1. You Can't Reuse the sensor from the AE trans. (I've looked into it.)
2. It's on the tailshaft (Theres a freeze plug thats a bitch to knock out.)

If you still need a pic look on your auto trans it looks the same but it's designed to read a different tooth number.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
yeah the sensors are very different (trust me ive tried Lol) the hole is too small on the r154 to fit the ABS sensor. iirc the same harness section will wire up, the auto just has more grounds that you dont need on the manual harness. did you wire in the reverse switch?

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
tlo86;1026376 said:
yeah the sensors are very different (trust me ive tried Lol) the hole is too small on the r154 to fit the ABS sensor. iirc the same harness section will wire up, the auto just has more grounds that you dont need on the manual harness. did you wire in the reverse switch?

Yes, I wired the reverse harness from the R154 to the black and blue wires on different plugs. I was pretty happy with that, seeing as I didn't really know if the advice given on Supraforums was right in the FAQs, but the car started and reverse lights worked on the first try.

I still need a picture, if someone can provide it, of the sensor installed in the R154. I want to know exactly which freeze plug needs removed.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Nocheez;1026380 said:
Yes, I wired the reverse harness from the R154 to the black and blue wires on different plugs. I was pretty happy with that, seeing as I didn't really know if the advice given on Supraforums was right in the FAQs, but the car started and reverse lights worked on the first try.

I still need a picture, if someone can provide it, of the sensor installed in the R154. I want to know exactly which freeze plug needs removed.
if i didnt have two cars ahead of mine to be worked on i would take a pic, sorry :(

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
gimme a min.

2qs1bvp.jpg

25qzluo.jpg

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Nocheez;1026380 said:

Also, you can use the Auto plug if you don't have a plug on the r154. The sensor as stated is different though.
I just did this yesterday as I too converted mine to a 5 speed during the engine swap. I just trasnplanted the reverse light and the ABS sensor wiring into my car from the auto harness and everything plugged right in and works.
The auto ABS / sensor plug has four wires and the 5 speed sensor has three wires on the plug. The blue wire from the auto is not used.Plugs are the same , just one is clear and the Auto one is grey.