Request - crank timing pulley measurement

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
I've got the Honeywell sensor on its way, so I should be able to mock up and test things over the next few weeks. I'm going to send 3pi a message with hopes that he can provide some insight into what voltage the stock vr sensor puts out to give me an idea of how I need to modify the settings in the aem. The sensor I selected has an output of 50v p/p at 1000 in/sec, with a minimum speed of 15 in/s (I.e. Has a stable output down to 150 rpm). The od of the sensor is also 9.5mm, which should fit the available space perfectly. The chisel tip should also give a clean signal with a tooth of similar length. From all the reading I've done, all I'll really have to modify are the crank sensor sensitivity settings as a 12-tooth crank wheel mimics the 24 tooth cam wheel perfectly.

All documentation states that the aem v1 is designed around 12 crank teeth, so as I'm sticking with the aem v1 for the time being, this should do the trick.

One question I do have for those that have had the crank trigger already installed, how do you align the cam and crank sensors? I believe I've read that the cam signal has to occur out of sync with the crank signal. Is this correct?

Also, I didn't say it before, but thanks Limbodk for the write-up and photos, they definitely helped.

Last edited:

limbodk

Oct 19, 2010
Auckland
No need to thank me guys, I am still a long way from having any of this solved myself, and am not sure that there is even space to fit the Toyota sensor.

What sensor did you end up ordering Adampecush? I looked at the 3014 and 3024 but couldn't find a supplier. I will be interested to see how you go with getting the centreline of the sensor to line up to the centre line of the toothed wheel.

I used Toyota part number 90919-05023 which is in many Toyota engines from 2JZ, 1JZ and 1GFEs, I think I paid $5 each from a wrecker. The reason I copied the toothed wheel exactly is that I wanted a good match between the teeth and the sensor pickup. Have a read of

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/pickups.htm

specifically on mismatched sensor teeth. I see from the data sheets of the Chisel pole piece width is only 0.25mm thick this might lead to some triggering issues? They are also directional I think so you need the chisel aligned to the tooth correctly maybe the 3015 is a better fit?, something to check anyway. I am not saying it wont work as why else would Honeywell make a sensor that needs such a fine tooth, but the industrial applications they typically are used for might not need to be as accurate or have a lot of averaging?

To compare to the Toyota sensor,

WP_20160612_020.jpgWP_20160612_024.jpg

gear tooth is 2.6mm, my ruler disturbs the filings attached to the magnate on the Toyota sensor but its about the same.

I really do not know if the sensor I am using is fully comparable to the vr sensors in the CAS but for what its worth it measured 2.125kOhms.
As for the max wheel size you can fit with out modifying the front cover,

WP_20160612_016.jpg

With out attacking the small bump bolt hole, you could get ~69mm, if you grind that down you can probably get to about ~73mm, its hard to measure as the timing cover tapers in from the inside edge so don't kill me it takes a bit grinding.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
I ended up with the 3024 sensor, I actually bought it off of ebay. There are a bunch of suppliers here in North America - does Mouser ship over to you?

My plan is to orient the sensor such that the long axis of the chisel is parallel to the rotation of the wheel, matching the width of the chisel and crank teeth. Theoretically (in my mind at least), this should give a reasonably sharp zero crossing signal. I believe the sensor is designed to be oriented perpendicular to the rotation of the wheel and pick up extremely narrow teeth - I'm hoping my method works, otherwise, I may have to go with a hall sensor and the following: http://www.seattlecircuit.com/hall_to_vr.html

Thanks for the photo of the timing cover and the measurement. I had a spare, but tossed it a few years back when cleaning out parts (idiot). Looks like 70 - 72mm is a healthy OD for the wheel

Last edited:

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
vpp is tied to the minimum speed of the sensor. Anything 40 and below is right around the minimum output (1vpp) at cranking rpm. 55vpp should give a clean signal while cranking.

Not yet sure what the output of the stock sensor is, but I would imagine it might be even higher at the top end of the rpm range.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
going to have 10 of these made, 12 tooth, 72mm OD. If you are interested, PM me for a price (it is quite reasonable).

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
image1(1).jpg

Batch of 10 arrived yesterday. Haven't popped the spacer off the pulley yet but the fit appears spot on.

This will be welded to the pulley and I'll have to grind a bit of the timing cover as the OD is 72mm.