replicating plastic

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
any one know of a goood way of replicating plastic parts?..im working on something and would need to replicate the part several times. a local plastic shop didnt really want to deal with me so im thinking of doing this on my own...

any ideas?

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
well i am working on a gauge pod that fits over the steering colum. holds 3 guages i have it some what mocked up w/ fiberglass a few people who have seen it really like it..

does this help?

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
You know what would be really cool: making the plastic that goes on the 1989-92 moldings. Not the moldings, just the small strips of plastic that go on them.
Many people need those and you can't buy them from Toyota with out buying the whole entire molding piece.

Like if someone can make those strips and sell it like rope, by the length needed (heh).
That would be awesome! I would be a buyer as well as many others I would think.

Just an idea, what do you guys think?

I know KevinM would be a good guy to ask on all this, and he posted in this thread, so what do you think, Kevin?

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
Enraged said:
emachineshop.com offers plastic moulding

anyone deal with them or have any feedback?

im sure the colum cover would be a blessing to other supra owners who need the xtra place for adding guages to monitor the car..

what do you think guys?

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
TONY! said:
You know what would be really cool: making the plastic that goes on the 1989-92 moldings. Not the moldings, just the small strips of plastic that go on them.
Many people need those and you can't buy them from Toyota with out buying the whole entire molding piece.

Like if someone can make those strips and sell it like rope, by the length needed (heh).
That would be awesome! I would be a buyer as well as many others I would think.

Just an idea, what do you guys think?

I know KevinM would be a good guy to ask on all this, and he posted in this thread, so what do you think, Kevin?

That is an excellent idea.

wulfstan

4EVRJAM
Apr 2, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
MA717MGTE - Any pics of your plan even just drawings, I would be interested. :thumbup:

Tony - excellent idea :love:

Great thread for ideas, now let's get something going, cuz that would be awesome.

wulfstan :icon_bigg:

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
im actually doing a mock up with my 87 colum cover now with some piping and fiberglass i have to get some pics developed since i still dont have a digital camera but i will post them when i get them.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Hmm, even a prototype tool would run tens of thousands + an injection molder. I think fiberglass is the way to go unless you plan on selling these by the gross.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
contact emachineshop, they were just featured in an article in Wired magazine. my work may be going through them for some prototype sheetmetal parts, as the are cheaper than local shops.

fiberglass would be a good option, someone like tte (posts in the misc vendor section) would be able to point you in the right direction for mold making and such.

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
Sorry, haven't had time to check back in lately. I can have it done by the vacuum molding place. They should be even able to add the stock tecture. The only thing that would really concern me at this point would be the attachments. I'm on break next week for 2 weeks and can get some of the leg work done.

Email me at K_Mart90@hotmail.com and we'll see what we can come up with

Kevin

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
KevinM said:
Sorry, haven't had time to check back in lately. I can have it done by the vacuum molding place. They should be even able to add the stock tecture. The only thing that would really concern me at this point would be the attachments. I'm on break next week for 2 weeks and can get some of the leg work done.

Email me at K_Mart90@hotmail.com and we'll see what we can come up with

Kevin

sweet thanks guys.. Kevin.. im e-mailing you now..

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
limequat said:
Hmm, even a prototype tool would run tens of thousands + an injection molder. I think fiberglass is the way to go unless you plan on selling these by the gross.

i do.. i got lots of good feed back from a few of my local buddies they really like the idea.. and it only blocks up to 20mph on the speedo, the e-brake light on my 87. think about it.. if you really wanted to monitor your car.. a 3 guage colum cover and a tripple a piller pod to house 6 guages. or just the colum cover to hide the guages from a: theves, b: cops to harrass ya. since ihave lunar guages i have anything from mopeds to v8's tangs wanting to run me.. but the soon back down :biglaugh:

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
Enraged said:
contact emachineshop, they were just featured in an article in Wired magazine. my work may be going through them for some prototype sheetmetal parts, as the are cheaper than local shops.

fiberglass would be a good option, someone like tte (posts in the misc vendor section) would be able to point you in the right direction for mold making and such.

im acutally playing with there software now.. tring to figure out how to make a cyl is killing me :nono:

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Enraged said:

they are reputible, but their prices are what seem to kill me, for it to be worth it you would have to have 30+ on the deal.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
thats the point though. even local shops will be expensive for single parts becuase whether you make a run of 3000 or of 3, you need to program the machine, which is the hard work. once its programmed, you basically just replace the stock and let it do its thing.