Replacment Headlights.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
They're expensive as hell though...and don't look better than HID projectors for the same price (or cheaper if you do the work yourself).

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah, I make them on occasion :rofl:

It's a lot more work though as you have to install a wiring harness, etc. The LED's look pretty decent, though I'd have to compare them myself (HID's, hella E-codes, etc)

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
The guy "Stump" that posted that review is a friend of a friend. Serious off-road people. (These guys do that nutty rock crawling stuff) I've seen some of the stuff that Stump has built, if he says it's good, I suspect it probably is.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
209 is dooable, not the 700 i was finding each. thanks for the link il be looking into these when i get the car driveable again

MadRPM

Nov 9, 2012
Tampa
Seems like they would be a direct replacement. I'll give them a call after the holidays as those would be very nice.

Also, I'm pretty sure retroffiting would be at least as expensive since you have to get a quality kit for at least 300 + quality clear headlights, unless you get lucky at the yard. So 420 + shipping for, hopefully, a plug-n-play upgrade is not too bad

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Well, LED is easily past the 50W range, and really, that's more light than headlights need, considering that halogen high beams are 65W, given the low lumens/watt range of halogen vs LED, there should be no need for more than 40W of power dissipation. Yes, HID is still more efficient, but those are typically 35W power dissipation. As such, LED is capable of creating as much light as is legal for use on public roads.

I just want to be sure that they use approriate power limiting, as an overcurrent fault on an LED means instant failure. Many LED automotive lamps will fail after one bad load dump from shutting off the heater fan while the engine is developing power for this reason.

(I've done a lot of stuff with DIY video projectors, and high power LEDs are a popular idea, but they still aren't up to matching a 400-1000W metal halide HID lamp. It's also amazing how many people think that LEDs don't create any heat.)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Dan_Gyoba;1901830 said:
Well, LED is easily past the 50W range, and really, that's more light than headlights need, considering that halogen high beams are 65W, given the low lumens/watt range of halogen vs LED, there should be no need for more than 40W of power dissipation. Yes, HID is still more efficient, but those are typically 35W power dissipation. As such, LED is capable of creating as much light as is legal for use on public roads.

I just want to be sure that they use approriate power limiting, as an overcurrent fault on an LED means instant failure. Many LED automotive lamps will fail after one bad load dump from shutting off the heater fan while the engine is developing power for this reason.

(I've done a lot of stuff with DIY video projectors, and high power LEDs are a popular idea, but they still aren't up to matching a 400-1000W metal halide HID lamp. It's also amazing how many people think that LEDs don't create any heat.)

Well, LED's make less heat, but they're also not able to withstand high temps (most of them).

Regarding legal road use, I prefure to be at the upper end of the limit instead of the lower (halogens are still powerful if they get the power they need). LED's take some interesting engineering to get all the light out of them because of the narrow degree of the light emitted.

Mr Bojangles;1901842 said:
I like those, the price isn't bad either for a light you never have to replace

LED's do age and die, they just have a much higher MTBF as a general rule. These lights don't appear to have nearly the cooling on them that the OEMs are using on their LED assemblies, so I can't be as sure of their longevity.

Still, I kinda like them and hope they come down in price.