Replacing valve shims

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Just googled it and never knew that is what those things were for. So you use that to measure the wear marks?

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
3p141592654;1983854 said:
No, the cams won't be worn at all. The aluminum bearing caps on the head will be worn (think egg shaped). They can be lapped back to spec.
oh I see what you mean now I'll check out the bearing and see how they look.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
About calculating the new shim thickness, you measure with the feeler gauge first then use a micrometer to measure the thickness of the shim itself then add those together and that will give you the thickness of the new shim you need correct? That seems to be what I am understanding from the formula and posted worksheet but my other question is what if the thickness is like 15.442 or whatever do you round up or round down or get a shim that is like 15.5mm if that makes sense?

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
You need to subtract what the clearance is from what it SHOULD be, then add that number to current shim thickness, and that's the size of shim you need. If you just measured the clearance and then added it to the current shim size you would end up with 0 clearance.. not what you want.

And regarding the rounding.. there's a range of clearances that are OK in the TSRM. Just get it in that range.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Glad I triple checked on that thanks backlash. I'll be posting up my measurements when I get to checking it out tomorrow hopefully it doesn't rain but it seems like it will.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
No problem. Id like to get mine a little tighter.. maybe I'll do that when it warms up a little bit lol

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I noticed something after I bought the tools and remote started my car I saw a puff of smoke come from where the downpipe meets the cat area, I am thinking that is where my exhaust leak is causing the ticking sound. It would possibly explain why I never heard it when I was revving it while under the hood but I can hear it while in the cabin. I will ask my mechanic if I can put my car up on the lift and help me find some better gaskets.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Make sure the flanges are flat and the bolts are tight. If the flanges are warped in the middle, you'll never get a gasket to seal. It's better to have a flange that's warped like this )| instead of this (|. The bolts will pull the first one together, not the second.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Tomorrow Ill get the car up on stands and check it out and order the gaskets from DM.

Last edited:

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
This is where I think my ticking noise is coming from it sounds too much like an exhaust leak rather than a valve tick and only ticks on acceleration.
11861374386_9713be5989_h.jpg

11860992434_e990205e37_h.jpg

11860566915_a79a6bd86d_h.jpg

This is the down pipe meeting the catalytic converter this is the area where the puff of smoke came from most likely. Do you guys see anything wrong with the welds or anything else? I already ordered gaskets from DM and will install them when they come in and go from there.

raysupra

7m Love
Jan 18, 2010
Mustang, OK
Doat;1984197 said:
This is where I think my ticking noise is coming from it sounds too much like an exhaust leak rather than a valve tick and only ticks on acceleration.

This is the down pipe meeting the catalytic converter this is the area where the puff of smoke came from most likely. Do you guys see anything wrong with the welds or anything else? I already ordered gaskets from DM and will install them when they come in and go from there.

Hard to see some pinholes up top sometimes.. I don't see anything wrong with those welds at first glance(on bottom)...
Could be a problem on top

Could always run the car at idle and carefully feel around the exhaust area while its cold.. have a 2nd person blip the throttle once or twice see if you feel a jet area around their...
did you check to see how "tight/loose" those bolts are? that gasket could have a goofy tear in it somewhere or could be pinched or a million things aswell... could try a better gasket like your doing or get some nasty exhaust gasket maker stuff like Fipg for Exhaust.. I dont know thought..
I'd start with pinpointing your leak first..
cant fix something till ya know what it is

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
The bolts were on tightly when I checked them and I tightened them in an even pattern when I put looked around for signs of burns or blackened areas that could indicate a leak but seems like it's a small leak. I will keep testing it out and see what I find.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Another update, ticking noise is back lol some reason I did not hear it yesterday while driving but today I had the windows up and heard the ticking noise upon acceleration.