Replacing stock gauges in the cluster

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Hello,
I know that many of you have done this before and I have searched for the info I'm looking for but failed to do so.

First of all, I'll be using Swoosh 60mm SM68 gauges and I'll replace the boost, oil pressure and water temp gauges in the stock cluster.

I have done some trimming for one of the gauges on the black "frame" so that it sits flush with the frame.
The problem now is that the clear plastic cover doesnt fit, my gauge sticks out to much.

So now I have two choices, cut a hole in the clear plastic for each gauge or trim the black frame some more.
But if I trim the black frame some more it will be weak.

What I tried searching for was pictures of how you trimmed the black frame piece.

So, any idea?

Thanks
/Marcus

nerfkhat

Aug 24, 2005
centennial, Co
What i did is trim the black piece and made it as flush as I can. Then i put the clear piece on top and took a heat gun and soften the plastic and if you can find some kind of roller to shape the clear part to kind of mold into the guage. This will allow you to mount the clear part back on. Becareful when heating it up and not holding the heat gun too long in one spot or you may burn it.

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
I tried trimming the black piece a bit more, but it will not work. I'll have to trim a lot from the white part and I'll still have to modify the clear plastic piece.
So I'm going to make the gauges trim sit flush with the black piece and then cut a hole into the clear plastic for each gauge. I will use some rubber of some sort on the edge to make a nice surrounding to the gauge.

nerfkhat

Aug 24, 2005
centennial, Co
eraezer;1716172 said:
Thats a good idea. how much did your gauges stick out?
Mine only stuck out only a couple mm. I used the prosport premium guages so they are pretty small depth compared to most guages. My clear plastic piece still looks flat though. Goodluck post some pics if you can.