replacing head gasket. have a question

chandley

mkIII owner
Apr 27, 2006
SoCal
I'm replacing my HG with a HKS 1.2mm Metal Head Gasket and I was wondering if I would have to take off the cam shaft, then have to re-time. Or can I get to the headbolts and take off the head with the cam shaft still attached?:1zhelp:

chandley

mkIII owner
Apr 27, 2006
SoCal
thats the answer I want to hear! Are you sure? cuz thats what it looks like in the tsrm, but wasn't sure. anybody dont it and know for sure?

Spun MkIII

Aug 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
You can get to all the headbolts with the cams still on there, but you might have to turn the cam gear just a bit to get to 2 or 3 of them depending on how the cam is positioned. Then just be careful when you are setting the head down after it is off, so you do not bend or damage the valves that will stick out.

chandley

mkIII owner
Apr 27, 2006
SoCal
I ended up not doing it, I got one of the valve covers off, and got frustrated and quit. I think I'm going to pay someone else to do it. I just don't have all the tools and stuff I would need to do the timing and all. I'm so pissed

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Not wanting to be a cock about this but it's probably best you hand it off to someone that know's what they're doing!

7M's aren't a simple motor and really not a good one to learn on as they get very expensive if you make mistakes.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
Chandley dude ease up. It's not that hard. Take your time and turn the cam ever so slightly as you torque the head down. It doesn't take much and you'll at least know it was done right and to the higher spec 80ft/lbs not the book at 50 something! Torque wrench short ext and the allen head and you'll be done in no time. Patience dude. it's worth the time. Relax this is the easy part.