replacing control arm bushings - camber bolts stuck?

Carl Johansson

Dec 19, 2009
fresno Ca
Ok guys,
Just a shade tree mechanic here. I am replacing bushings with poly bushings on an 88 NA.
It appears as if the bolt is so rusted into the sleeve, that they are one piece of metal. So? what do i do now?
I do have a torch - do you cut off the nut and the head, then let it drop down, then burn out the bushing? and if you do this - where do you get all of the new hardware. i assume this is fairly straighforward, seems like alot of guys do it, but i have no idea? any help is appreciated!
Carl Johansson
Auberry Ca

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
You can get the new hardware from Toyota.

Just soak it overnight and see what happens. If that doesn't work, try heating it and using an impact. If that doesn't work, then cut it off.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
Large diameter cutting wheel can get in between the control arm and the subframe and cut the bolts without any damage

kanji1jz

kanji
Jan 16, 2008
tampa fl
Best way I have done these... and I've done quite a few - saws all with long blade in-between subframe and bushing, once both sides are removed - long pry bar to get it out, burn out the bushing and then CAREFULLY cut a line lengthwise in the bushing outer ring and knock out, install new bushing and hardware. Sounds like a lot and it is, plus it's really messy. Honestly I wouldn't do it on the ground or in the garage if I had any other option. It was a bitch with it in the air. Plus while the arms are out I would have someone stitch weld the sides of the adjuster walls to give them strength from bending like they always to. Worked really well on my friend Dylan's car and highly recommend this to everyone with that style adjuster.

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
kanji1jz;1789452 said:
Plus while the arms are out I would have someone stitch weld the sides of the adjuster walls to give them strength from bending like they always to. Worked really well on my friend Dylan's car and highly recommend this to everyone with that style adjuster.

Excellent advice for all!