Replacement Speakers Sound Worse-Advice Please

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
toyo4life said:
Let me let you in on a little secret so that you can get past you fear of odd shaped speakers.... The reason speakers are mostly round has little to do with sound or tonal quality. It has to do with ease of manufacturing. It is easier to machine round parts than anyother shape.
Watch this for me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

Speakers have round cones because they spread stress symetrically and the net result is compressing or stretching the cone exactly along its axis of travel which its very resistant to. In other words it holds its shape best under pressure. Other shapes, ESPECIALLY squares will twist and distort under pressure more than a similiarly weighted round cone because the further edges and corners are recieving an inproportionate amount of stress.
That causes distortion, and is why I think kicker square subs are stupid. They were made mainly to attract sales on looks and not merits, just like a lot of car audio junk.
You might say the distortion is so insignificant that it's worth the extra cone area, but I'm going to disagree on that. Just get a bigger round cone and find room if you need more area.
For people that care about sound quality... money is better spent on a dayton reference sub from PE, which has a nice round AL cone, shorting rings in the motor structure, etc.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
I have those Yellow Cone pioneers off my 500/1. they sound really good, I'm pretty happy with them. I need to do a little bit of sound deadening in the doors, and a little more work but I think once all is said and done they will sound really nice.

toyo4life

Supramania Contributor
Oct 8, 2006
Manchester NJ
All the talk about subs is really off topic here anyway. this thread was about replacing the stock 4" speakers. I was just talking about the solo x as a part of a system to dup. a club type sound. None of the speakers I mentioned would be practical in any car much less a supra. The solo requires 12 cubic ft and the horns for a copression driver can have an apature of 2 square ft. Not really car install friendly. As far as oval cone distortion most systems will not drive kevlar cones to distort .
If you were to close your eyes and play them at the same output level while in a moving supra or most cars you could not tell the difference between what shape the speaker was.
There are better values than Kicker out there.
Round speakers are easier to work with.
My favorite components are a dicontinued model from Oz Audio.
My point in posting here in the first place was that at my cost of $68 a pair, the pioneer 6x8 kevlars are hard to beat.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
suprarx7nut said:
If I'm off at all, please correct any of these statements:

Already been said, but Infinity>Pioneer but similar sound quality. *Edit* "Characteristics, not quality"

Amps just help to eliminate distortion when you turn it up(I.E. if it sounds bad at lower volumes now, an amp wont do shit.)

Any set of decent component speakers will give you more bass and clearer mids/highs.
Sounds about right. The important thing to note about aftermarket speakers, they all sound different. Try to listen to a bunch, and chose ones that sound good to you.