Replacement for the 1jz Hydro pump??

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
Just yesterday I got my second supra. I traded my Eclipse for it and its a 1jz/ Stinger Stand alone, swapped mk3. Just got it home and the hydro pump pulley is starting to make a wierd squelling noise. Does this mean the pump needs replaced? No coolant is leaking and the car is not over heating. The lines from hydro pump had be cut by someone, so it is running dry. I know there are alot of threads about jz water pump swaps from hydro pumps, I read them and I am still slightly confused on what exactly I need.

Is there a front half pump that would bolt up to the back half that I already have on the car? Like a standard 1jz pump or 2jz pump? Or do I need the entire 2jz pump set up, back/font/and pulley? Someone told me they used the full 2jz pump front and back but they had issues with things not fitting right with the 2jz back half. Also do you have to remove the crank pulley and timing belt to do this? If someone can explain to me in simple terms exactly what I need to buy to replace my hydro pump, and possibly the cheapest place to get the parts it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

last minute thought,, can the front half of a hydro pump still be bought anywhere? And how much would it cost compared to the 2jz swap pump?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Have to buy the complete both sides of the usdm 2jzgte waterpump. The either a 2jzgte fan and clutch or ls400 clutch and 7m fan.

If it was run dry prolly the pump.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
HAHAHA. My ls400 clutch is might quite nad i didnt have to trim the shroud ;). Tho if the 2jz one has more clearance i would have gone that route. Still dunno.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
I have electric fans on the car, so I wont be doing a clutch fan. But anyway, had an idea tonight for a temporary fix. I filled the hydro pump with the proper fluid then blocked off the cut hoses on it. Started the car up and the sound was gone :) Has anyone done this before to keep it lubricated when not using the hydro fan full setup? Seems to work well, not sure how much longer it could last like this but I guess we'll see.
Also, the car has the power steering pump on it but there are no lines on it. I have no idea if the pump works anymore or not, but what power steering lines do I need to use the 1jz pump with the mk3 body?

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
hvyman;1749265 said:
HAHAHA. My ls400 clutch is might quite nad i didnt have to trim the shroud ;). Tho if the 2jz one has more clearance i would have gone that route. Still dunno.
I have a ton of room with my GE or soarer (not sure which one I was actually sold used as I was told it was for a TT) fanblade and TT clutch. Just had to trim the rear of the blades to clear the coolant neck. It's definitely way more than an inch as I can fit my hand between the radiator and fanblade.

suprafanatic;1749285 said:
I have electric fans on the car, so I wont be doing a clutch fan. But anyway, had an idea tonight for a temporary fix. I filled the hydro pump with the proper fluid then blocked off the cut hoses on it. Started the car up and the sound was gone :) Has anyone done this before to keep it lubricated when not using the hydro fan full setup? Seems to work well, not sure how much longer it could last like this but I guess we'll see.
Also, the car has the power steering pump on it but there are no lines on it. I have no idea if the pump works anymore or not, but what power steering lines do I need to use the 1jz pump with the mk3 body?

Blocking off lines that flow/feed etc. is never a good idea...i'd loop those lines to the pump so it just feeds itself instead of pumping up more pressrue.

For the powersteering lines, buy the braided high pressure line from driftmotion for $60 as Toyota wants over $300. And then for the low pressure line, buy some 3/8" from your stock cooler lines to your reservoir and a foot or two of 5/8" line from your pump to the reservoir if you're mounting it on the driver's side behind the fuse box.

To answer your question about how much you need to remove to swap in the 2JZ-GTE water pump, the answer is just about everything as it's behind the timing belt and timing belt tensioner.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
I was told you can use the mk4 power steering lines... And from autozone the line is only $65 dollars. Someone also told me the driftmotion line is like way to long to use?? Also I unplugged the actual pump for the hydro fan so there is no pressure, its just filled with fluid to keep it lubricated.