replaceing RMS, questions

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
first off i already have the tranny out. there is oil everywhere, in the bellhousing, on the fw bolts, the clutch disk, eveywhere.

the clutch is a spec stage 2, i put it in this last summer(didnt bother to do the RMS then)

Now, i cleaned the fw and pp with break parts cleaner and they came pretty clean. But my disk is now kinda brown oily colored. how do i clean it? break parts cleaner? should i even bother cleaning it or will it clean itself when i install it and use it?

I said above that the pp and fw came clean when sprayed with break parts cleaner. however on both of them there is a brown streak/line about .25in thick all the way around the fw and pp. is this something to be worried about?

The RMS i bought came with the gasket for the RMS housing, which from the TSRM i gather that you dont have to remove to replace the RMS. However how do i know where it is leaking from, the RMS or the housing, or could it be both? it also looks like i would have to pull the oil pan to get the RMS housing off the block, true? should i bother with it? do i have to drain the oil to replace the RMS?

And lastly it looks like my EGR is leaking, fluid ontop of the bellhousing, on the coolant hardlines, and under the EGR. I have the EGR gasket already. My question is: is it possible to replace the EGR gasket from under the car with the tranny out? What is behind the EGR plate? do i have to drain the coolant?

well thats about it for now, i know it was a long post and thanks in advance everyone. happy new year btw.:icon_bigg

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
ok, forget my question regarding the EGR, got that done yesterday. i think the coolant was coming from the hose thats unter the EGR cuz theres no coolant/anything behind the EGR plate. ireplace the hose. but i know someone out there can answer the other questions. come on guys dont let me down.

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
Now, i cleaned the fw and pp with break parts cleaner and they came pretty clean. But my disk is now kinda brown oily colored. how do i clean it? break parts cleaner? should i even bother cleaning it or will it clean itself when i install it and use it?

IMHO, throw that disc in the garbage can. I don't think you will ever be able to get the oil out of that disc. It may appear to be clean, but after it gets hot that oil will come to the surface. If you are partially successful and it slips, you're gonna waste a flywheel and pressure plate from excessive heat.I would'nt want to do that job twice.

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
You shouldn't have to remove the oil pan to change the RMS. There are four bolts that go up throught the pan into the seal housing. With a little elbow grease, after you remove these four bolts and the bolts holding the seal housing on you should be able to gently pry the housing off with the seal intact.

IRT the clutch disc. If there is oil in it - replace it. You will thank yourself later on.

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
alright thanks guys. i'll get a new disk because along with you guys a good friend of mine who acts as my adviser told me to trash it also. i'm going to try to get the pp and fw resurfaced tomarrow, i was told the brown lines on them are deposits of oily clutch matirial that have to come off.

i have put in a new RMS but i did not take the RMS housing off and put in a new gasket there. if i do pull the housing off this will not in any way damage the oil pan gasket?? i see which bolts to undo and how it would happen i'm just concerned that the oil pan will start to leak if i mess with it. what is behind the RMS housing anyway?