Replaced Starter, now car dies while driving?

RavenMaster

SupraMan
Mar 4, 2008
Santa Barbara
www.torrentgeeks.com
I placed a thread about this on socal but I keep getting the answer that this is a boost leak, and I dont see how thats possible.
Ok so I replaced my starter and the car starts just fine, itll warm up but as soon as I start driving it around, if I drive and come to a stop and I switch to nuetral the car will die, if it doesnt die the RPM's drop to 500 RPM and idles rough. What the heck can be the problem? This didnt happen before i replaced the starter!
And before anyone says its a boost leak I have checked ALL of the intercooler connections checked the connections to the Turbo, all are secure.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Good thing you did it yourself. Because you would be blaming the mechanic right now.

Are you sure all you did was change the starter? Idle speed control isn't something that usually dies, but it does happen. The motor(ISC) can get stuck with its old age and contamination.

When they say boost leak, it is the same as an intake leak. And that will cause a stall also.

RavenMaster

SupraMan
Mar 4, 2008
Santa Barbara
www.torrentgeeks.com
Nick M;976726 said:
Are you sure all you did was change the starter?
Yes I am sure thats all i did
Nick M;976726 said:
Idle speed control isn't something that usually dies, but it does happen. The motor(ISC) can get stuck with its old age and contamination.
Maybe I should explain a little more, if i start the car up, it wil;l warm up and drop to a normal idle (750 RPM)
But when I start driving it around if the load on the car is 2000RPM or more and I am coming to a stop, switch into nuetral, the car will die, unless i quickly push the accelerator right as death comes the RPM's will go back up but will drop down to an idle of 500 RPM, how could this have happened just from changing the starter? Is the Idle Speed Control controlled by something on that side of the car?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
It has nothing to do with the starter. Just a thought, why do you put it in nuetral when coming to a stop? Manual trans? You can't simulate the problem in the driveway?

RavenMaster

SupraMan
Mar 4, 2008
Santa Barbara
www.torrentgeeks.com
Nick M;976762 said:
It has nothing to do with the starter. Just a thought, why do you put it in nuetral when coming to a stop? Manual trans? You can't simulate the problem in the driveway?
Yes it is a manual, but this happens even if i just hold in the clutch. i dont necessarily have to put it into nuetral, no i have yet to be able to duplicate this in the driveway.
BTW my car was off for a week while I waited for the new starter to come in.

RavenMaster

SupraMan
Mar 4, 2008
Santa Barbara
www.torrentgeeks.com
Okayyy, I was on e on gas but my indicator hadnt come on that I needed gas at all, but anyway I figurwed I should go put a few gallons in anyway (i usually dont let it get below a quarter of a tank but before replacing my starter I had driven from SB to Simi and back so I was pretty low) anyway I drove it there and died twice on the way there, had it idling at 500 by the time I got there, I put gas in the car and started it up , idled properly, and started driving expecting to have problems, and...nothing, no problems the whole way home, i pulled into the driveway, and instead of idling at 500 RPM like its been doing, it was idling at the proper 750, Um....WTH?

Being a little low on gas shouldnt have caused this problem...could it have?

I am going to drive it around a bit more tomorrow just to be sure ill let you all know what happens..

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
RavenMaster;976746 said:
Yes I am sure thats all i did

Maybe I should explain a little more, if i start the car up, it wil;l warm up and drop to a normal idle (750 RPM)
But when I start driving it around if the load on the car is 2000RPM or more and I am coming to a stop, switch into nuetral, the car will die, unless i quickly push the accelerator right as death comes the RPM's will go back up but will drop down to an idle of 500 RPM, how could this have happened just from changing the starter? Is the Idle Speed Control controlled by something on that side of the car?

750 RPM ? should it be 900 ? did you take off the intake manafold when replaceing the starter ?

sdfjsd;lkfjsda;lfkjasd;lfkjasdfl; Nevermind seems like you fixed it

RavenMaster

SupraMan
Mar 4, 2008
Santa Barbara
www.torrentgeeks.com
ATL88Supra;977506 said:
750 RPM ? should it be 900 ? did you take off the intake manafold when replaceing the starter ?

sdfjsd;lkfjsda;lfkjasd;lfkjasdfl; Nevermind seems like you fixed it
no actually the problem came back earlier this morning. I adjusted the screw and brought the idle up to 900 now everything is fine, but the idle is supposed to be 900?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
No it should not be 900. Read the book. If you don't have one, buy one. Ebay usually has a used book, the dealer gets a few too many dollars for a new one.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
My idle normally sits right at 750. Anyway, have you checked for codes yet? It might help shed some light on the subject. Also, are you venting to atmosphere?

RavenMaster

SupraMan
Mar 4, 2008
Santa Barbara
www.torrentgeeks.com
Dunckel;977848 said:
My idle normally sits right at 750. Anyway, have you checked for codes yet? It might help shed some light on the subject. Also, are you venting to atmosphere?

Not that im aware of, The lowest I have been able to drop it is to 800, any lower than that and my car starts acting up. My car boosts fine. I reduced the boost down to 6.7 PSI (it was boosting fine at the 10PSI I had it set at). I dont get what the heck is going on, I have looked at practically anything. Yes I have checked codes, im only getting code 52 which has beenon for quite awhile.

Last edited:

sogi99

Jan 2, 2008
Elk Grove, CA
same here mine is 750 when your adjusting the idle you should short te1 and e1 like you are doing trying to check for timing. Might as well check for timing too will your at it. these cars comes with the diagnostics box by the battery read the tsrm. its there.

skipbarber

2008 Grassroots Challenge
Mar 26, 2008
Rockville-ish, Maryland
ive experienced this in a few cars, and it's almost always 1 of 2 things. the idle control device is dirty or malfunctioning, or the fuel filter is clogged. and if getting a full tank of gas helped and you dont remember the last time you changed the fuel filter, it wouldnt be a bad idea to try it.

RavenMaster

SupraMan
Mar 4, 2008
Santa Barbara
www.torrentgeeks.com
skipbarber;979296 said:
ive experienced this in a few cars, and it's almost always 1 of 2 things. the idle control device is dirty or malfunctioning, or the fuel filter is clogged. and if getting a full tank of gas helped and you dont remember the last time you changed the fuel filter, it wouldnt be a bad idea to try it.

Thanks skip ill try that