Replaced HG. Removed EGR. One Problem...

7mge_Rk

May 7, 2009
Medford, NY
monkihead;1331760 said:
its all good man. for that connector - look under your distributor, on the engine block. there should be a small round canister. it clips onto that.

Thanks a lot for the specifics on the location of that damned outlet for the connector!

Now as for the VSV with three vacuum line fittings/ports. The two lines:

1. Running from the VSV to the rail,
2. The other with the vacuum line running from the Vacuum canister to the rail,

Are both connected, as mentioned before. However, I am wondering why are there 3 ports (Check the thumbnails I included a couple messages up, the first image is that of that pesky VSV) and whever the third connects to if I were to put a vacuum line on it.

monkihead

driven to thrill
Jul 23, 2005
texas
7mge_Rk;1331822 said:
Thanks a lot for the specifics on the location of that damned outlet for the connector!

Now as for the VSV with three vacuum line fittings/ports. The two lines:

1. Running from the VSV to the rail,
2. The other with the vacuum line running from the Vacuum canister to the rail,

Are both connected, as mentioned before. However, I am wondering why are there 3 ports (Check the thumbnails I included a couple messages up, the first image is that of that pesky VSV) and whever the third connects to if I were to put a vacuum line on it.

unfortunately I don't run the VSV's. I pulled that crap off. Ran a Direct line of vacuum to the FPR. But then, I'm turbo'd. check link, it might help get you closer.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EC&P=16

P.S. - what is the exact problem? does it crank to start, want to start but die? Or does it start and run rough?

7mge_Rk

May 7, 2009
Medford, NY
Hmmm, yes, well I guess the filter is lost then.

The problem is, she starts idles for a second or just under, then dies.

This damned connector, I am feeling all over for it underneath the distributor and to the left of the block... grrr. still no luck.

7mge_Rk

May 7, 2009
Medford, NY
Everyone, good news and bad news...

I have found the reason why it will not start.

The reason:

The wire that connects to the VSV FPU, was apparently not connected at all.... due to the fact that it was cut or broke when the reassembly of the block took place.

Sons of bitches.

My options I guess are as follows:

1. Whole new Wiring harness
2. Go to Junk yard, plead with them to let me cut their wiring harness as to obtain the wire leading to the FPU, then splice them together in my car so that it works.
3. Get a new car... lol. Then worry about this problem.

It's only broke at the ends connecting to the back of the connector.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Go to the Wanted section here, ask if someone has a hacked-up wiring harness laying around that they would be willing to sell you the plug and wiring for the VSV. As many wiring harness that end up in pieces over time there's bound to be somebody who has what you need, and it'll be cheaper than getting a new (or even used) harness.

Just splice a new section on, connect it up securely and shrink-wrap the spliced area. Should be good.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Just connect the regulator directly to the manifold. Btw the FPU system is designed to be fail safe and even if it wasn't it wouldn't prevent the engine from starting or idling. Me thinks you're woofing up the wrong tree...

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
jetjock;1331908 said:
Just connect the regulator directly to the manifold. Btw the FPU system is designed to be fail safe and even if it wasn't it wouldn't prevent the engine from starting or idling. Me thinks you're woofing up the wrong tree...

Definately the wrong tree. I didn't catch that when I first read his post. I only recently got finished pulling my tb and upper intake off to find those vsv wires. Neither was connected, and the car would most assuredly run. Heck, only one ks was hooked up and neither vsv was. It's still got issues, but that isn't one of them.

7mge_Rk

May 7, 2009
Medford, NY
jetjock;1331908 said:

The regulator to the manifold?
As I am new and not fully experienced in this sort of thing I will need more specific instructions. (pics, or steps) I know what the FPR is but the manifold, are you talking about the vacuum railing underneath the intake manifold?

So with no more VSV FPU, my car should still start and run then? not bad.

monkihead

driven to thrill
Jul 23, 2005
texas
mirage83;1331897 said:
Go to the Wanted section here, ask if someone has a hacked-up wiring harness laying around that they would be willing to sell you the plug and wiring for the VSV. As many wiring harness that end up in pieces over time there's bound to be somebody who has what you need, and it'll be cheaper than getting a new (or even used) harness.

Just splice a new section on, connect it up securely and shrink-wrap the spliced area. Should be good.

Do me a favor, lift car- look at your oil filter - move your eyes three inches towards front of car. it should be brown/gold color.

2nd favor, remove twin tube portion of intake. check wiring harness for any loose wires. specifically a wire with a loop. its a ground wire that needs to be grounded to keep the car running.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
The vacuum line to the FPR goes through the VSV. Either remove the VSV and connect the hoses together or run a new one from the FPR to anywhere on that vacuum "railing". It too is a manifold, a vacuum manifold. Although with cars the term is usually reserved for intake or exhaust piping a manifold is any device that distributes something (usually a fluid) to many (mani) places from a single source.

Yes, the engine will still start and run without the VSV. However it may be a little harder to restart within 15-45 minutes of having been shut off. Or it may not. Depends on a few factors. Regardless, I seriously doubt the VSV has anything to do with your current problem. And again, either the buy the book or study the online copy. It'll increase your knowledge manifold ;)

7mge_Rk

May 7, 2009
Medford, NY
jetjock;1332414 said:
The vacuum line to the FPR goes through the VSV. Either remove the VSV and connect the hoses together or run a new one from the FPR to anywhere on that vacuum "railing". It too is a manifold, a vacuum manifold. Although with cars the term is usually reserved for intake or exhaust piping a manifold is any device that distributes something (usually a fluid) to many (mani) places from a single source.

Yes, the engine will still start and run without the VSV. However it may be a little harder to restart within 15-45 minutes of having been shut off. Or it may not. Depends on a few factors. Regardless, I seriously doubt the VSV has anything to do with your current problem. And again, either the buy the book or study the online copy. It'll increase your knowledge manifold ;)

Jet Lock, thank you very much. You're knowledge and help is much apreciated. My experience in cars and engines are of the 5sfe (My 1991 Celica GT-S 5speed) and the 13B (My friends 1987 Mazda RX-7). Lol, 4 cylinder and a Rotary engine...
So basically one car has two vacuum lines and the other just a giant vacuum manifold that's fully detachable.

However, As for the Oil pressure sending unit, I realize where it is but can not find the outlet for the connector on or around it. I will keep searching, however, if I could find someone who lived around me with a supra, I could get a pretty good idea.