replace impeller wheel

Cyrus

Apr 21, 2008
Bay Area, CA
is this possible? is it easy to do? one of the fins on mine is chipped, and a few other fins look bent. I have a spare turbo here with a clean and straight impeller wheel. how can i go about swapping them? the tsrm doesnt give any info on taking the turbo apart.

Cyrus

Apr 21, 2008
Bay Area, CA
the spare turbo has been sitting on a shelf for 10 years and the oil inlet port, air inlet, and water inlet ports were left uncovered. it had all kinds of crap stuck inside. it made a gross grinding noise when i spun the impeller.

so, seeing as how it is a spare turbo and i like to learn how shit works, i took it all apart. here are the bits and pieces:

turbobits.JPG

after i cleaned them all up with lacquer thinner and brake cleaner, i re-oiled everything with 5w30 and re-assembled it. unfortunately, during the clean up phase, i erased the marks i made that told me how the nose on the impeller lined up with the housing. so surely it is now out of balance, right?

how can i fix this. do i have to send it off to some fancy shop? can a local machine shop tackle this?

as always, thanks for the help.

Cyrus

Apr 21, 2008
Bay Area, CA
thanks for the info ajay.

i think now that this thing is cleaned, ill just put it back on the shelf and save up for an upgrade. been wanting a T04E 57 trim for a while now... :D