Repainting the Windshield Cowl and Wipers

Elie_Kaze

Banned
Mar 18, 2010
Lethbridge
I have some rust on my windshield cowl and wiper arms and want to clean them up. I bought 80, 320 and 400 grit sandpaper. I figured it would be enough for those items.

What I really wanted to know was what paint you guys use one these metal items? I have Tremclad and Krylon spray. I'm just not sure if this would be the proper way to go.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
I used rust-olium, the car hasnt sat out in the sun much so I cant tell ya how well it holds up.

I also used a scotch brite pad

prettymuchanoob

Mar 24, 2011
Dallas
I personally love plasti-dip for metal applications. Its pretty strong in itself, but a light matte clear coat and its pretty tough stuff. I know a few guys that use it on their wheels.

Elie_Kaze

Banned
Mar 18, 2010
Lethbridge
Hey,

I saw your thread and was enthusiastic to try it myself. The only problem is, is that I have some rust. Is scuffing enough or do I have to remove all of the rust first?

suprastupid

Apr 4, 2010
tx
Like the others say...Plastidip works great. I've also had some pieces powdercoated on previous cars... if you got the money (which shouldn't be too bad) do powdercoat, I got mine done at no real additional cost cause of all the other parts that was getting done anyways...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Elie_Kaze

Banned
Mar 18, 2010
Lethbridge
Well, I definitely don't want to spend the money to powdercoat a few parts when for $13 a can, I can do all the pieces I need done.

If there is rust on any of the parts, do I have to sand the rust off or can I plasti-dip right over it?

bgrieger

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto
In Canada, I've used Tremclad semi gloss black - $6 a can. 10 years now going strong, though the car has been sitting for several years now. I sanded to bare metal first, then acetone to clean. Really, it's all about the prep...do it well and you will get a good long life from it.

Elie_Kaze

Banned
Mar 18, 2010
Lethbridge
Tremclad eh? I actually have some of it in the garage.

Is there a real benefit going with the Plasti-dip over Tremclad?

I plan on doing all the exterior trim on the car.

suprastupid

Apr 4, 2010
tx
The plasticote is going to be more scratch resistant... plasticote is pretty much spray on vinyl.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I use engine/grill paint on the windshield wiper arms. The windshield cowl is actually a coating of some kind, not a paint. I haven't messed with mine so I can't comment on that.

Remember, prep work is key when painting though. Seen a lot of people just spray bomb them and have the paint fall off a few months later.

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
I used a die grinder with the brown pads to remove all the rust, then sanded down the paint, used professional etching primer to build it back up, DuPont black gloss paint and DuPont clear coat turned out great and smooth

The wiper arms were treated the same way but they were covered in rust so spent a lot of time grinding the rust off and many coats of primer.