Repaint or no repaint

supraturbo$1

May 29, 2010
GA
I am the original owner of a 1994 Supra twinturbo Hardtop, 6 speed, Black & Tan with 89110 miles and I want to know if it’s worth it to repaint the car, in Toyota black, or just leave it as is. I plan on selling it in a few years or so and thought I would have the little dents fixed and a repaint.
Any thoughts?

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
If the paint is still in decent shape, you can have paintless dent removal done if they are in easy to get areas. As for the paint a good detailer will be able to do minor paint correction if needed, and make the paint look as good or better than when you picked it up. They charge upwards of $300 but if its worth it you then its fine.

Nick 95 6sp

Ported & Polished
Sep 5, 2007
S.E. PA
I agree with that advice. But if it needs more than a pro detailing can recover, I think it's better to have, or to sell, a nice clean looking car than a faded dented one. Whatever you do, do quality. You get what you pay for in most cases.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
If you can live with the problems until you want to sell it, do that and paint it right before you sell it. If you paint it now, by the time you sell it, it will have chips and dents again.

If you want it to look nice between now and then, go for it.

Jeff

supraturbo$1

May 29, 2010
GA
Jeff Lange;1576437 said:
If you can live with the problems until you want to sell it, do that and paint it right before you sell it. If you paint it now, by the time you sell it, it will have chips and dents again.

If you want it to look nice between now and then, go for it.

Jeff

Thanks gents for the replys.
The paint isn't fadded but it thin and I have little chips around the front.
I was thinking of painting it before I sell to increase it vaule, but will I see a $1500-3000 paint job back when I sell? No reason to spend that kind of money if no return.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Going price for a MKIV TT 6-speed is over $20K... Also, paint prices have gone up a LOT, so be prepared to spend quite a bit to get it done properly.

supraturbo$1

May 29, 2010
GA
Going price for a MKIV TT 6-speed is over $20K????????? That's nuts! I am not looking at a custom paint job, just a good block sand, dents pulled, primed and shot in Toyota black paint job. 5k is the most I would pay and that's only if I trust them to do the work. I know I could do an $800 cheapy repaint but why? Also, some say to disassemble the car,(mostly) but you don't need to unless your change the color.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
well id have a detailer look at it first. Have PDR done if the dents arent bad. You could opt for a color sand on the areas that need a little attention. Really i would just have PDR done, then have a detailer go over the good areas of the car. Then just have the bad areas which i would think would be the hood and front bumper have those colour matched and youd be good to go.

You disassemble the car if you plan to do an entire respray, that includes interior, engine bay, door jams, etc.