Removing the IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE

Suprasath

Nov 9, 2008
Toronto
Im going to be buying a Front facing intake manifold soon.

My questions:
Is is it possible to run my 7m without the idle air control?

Can i set my idle with the throttle cable or the idle screw? im sure itll never idle at 650 again but atleast 800rpm.

Whats th pros and cons to doing this (drivability wise)?

Thanx for everyone's input.

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
might have an issue idling when cold out, but if its warm i think you should be fine. my iacv doesnt work and i have a hard time when its cold out (40ish degree F)...it'll lope around 400 so i have to hold the throttle down for a few seconds. I also do have cams though.

what really help me was that i drilled a 3/16th hole in my throttle plate and that REALLY helped it. you can also hookup a check valve (like for a brake booster) to one of your vacuum ports and it'll open during idle to allow more air in...close when you boost. i opted for the cleaner look.

i think a few people have standalone so they dont have to worry much about that. those are just some of the easy fixes that i've read and come up with, other wise i know people who have done it, in warm weather and they were not effected whatsoever

Suprasath

Nov 9, 2008
Toronto
I dont mind the cold starting part because i dont drive in the winter anyway. would this set the engine light?
also can i remove my cold start injector with out having any problems?

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
IIRC the cold start injector doesn't do anything unless it's like 20 degrees outside, that's what I've read though.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
id leave it alone, there are perfect examples of drive ability issues caused by removing things like this on a daily basis. I know guys that have gone speed density have replaced this with a filter, but have another $800 to fork over?

iirc jdub isnt using a piggy back and has a ffim too, might ask him where he located everything.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
ISCV flange welded on the bottom of the FFIM...no CSI (it doesn't get that cold in Phoenix ;)) I would use the ISCV (or something like it) even with a stand alone....gives you the ability to control idle better. If you go speed density (like with a MAFT Pro), you simply put a filter on the ISCV air intake like Grim said.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
grimreaper;1201021 said:
if im not mistaken, isnt it the isc that controls the idle per the stock ecu?

idle up more like it.

Unlike new cars that shut the TB completely. The TB is adjusted from factory for a certain low rpm and the IACV takes care of idle up request (Turn on A/C, Power steering input etc), cold start idle etc.

Suprasath

Nov 9, 2008
Toronto
I want to remove the idle air control and cold start injector to clean up thigs under the hood. Im on speed density mode right now. I have no a/c,power sterring. I dont drive in the winter since canada has too much snow. So if i just up my idle with the screw or the throttle cable would i be ok?

Thanx to everyone for their input.
peace

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
figgie;1201191 said:
idle up more like it.

Unlike new cars that shut the TB completely. The TB is adjusted from factory for a certain low rpm and the IACV takes care of idle up request (Turn on A/C, Power steering input etc), cold start idle etc.

Actually, if you cut the air from the ISCV and PCV, the motor will die...most times just cutting the air off at the ISCV will do it ;)
The TB screw you see on the early model ('87-'88) TB's is fully closed from the factory...the '89+ TB's don't have the air bypass screw. Idle is fully controlled by the ECU to the ISCV on the 7M.

Suprasath;1201611 said:
I want to remove the idle air control and cold start injector to clean up thigs under the hood. Im on speed density mode right now. I have no a/c,power sterring. I dont drive in the winter since canada has too much snow. So if i just up my idle with the screw or the throttle cable would i be ok?

Thanx to everyone for their input.
peace

Sounds like you have you mind made up ;) Let us know how it works out.
I just love these "clean-up the engine bay" crusades.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
Suprasath;1202351 said:
ill let you guys knw how it goes:icon_bigg
if you rev at all and push your clutch in its going to die on you just as Jdub said. The whole idea of the ISC is to allow air into the motor when you throttle plate closes suddenly so your idle doesn't dip to far. Most of the people you see with a FFIM either run the stock supra one or run the one built into the Q45 tb. Mine like jdubs is hidden underneath. Most people who run SD normally just put a filter on it rather than running the tubing.
jdub;1201693 said:
I just love these "clean-up the engine bay" crusades.
I was just thinking the same thing