Removing that little Trim panel?

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
Is there any particular method to removing the vertical exterior trim panel right behind the window? I have the interior out and got the 10mm hat nuts off (2). Going by the TSM (TSM simply instructs me to "remove" it lol), those two studs are all there is but it's still hanging. I haven't put a ton of oomph into it because I don't want to damage it or the rain gutter trim above the door. The gutter trim tabs into the vertical panel half an inch or so but doesn't seem like it should be resisting as much as it is.
On that note, do I need the SST the TSM calls for in order to remove the gutter trim? seems to look like a small scraper with a tiny hook at the end of the blade.. the gutter still has the plastic coat on it and I need to preserve it...

Thanks!

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
It's nerve racking but you just have to tug it. Its sealed on with a gasket like foam trim that has some sticky stuff on it and after a few years they tend to set up pretty tough. I did this to both my cars not too long ago, the worst part is getting the interior trim panels off. Those two nuts are the only thing keeping it on so gently pry/pull and it will come off in one piece, it's pretty sturdy.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Definitely not fun. IIRC, there are two 8mm nuts that you'll need a deep socket to reach. Good luck!

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Yup, I broke that plastic tab off removing my old one. Luckily it comes as part of the new trim piece, but the 8mm nuts are separate. By the way, all those screws and plastic tabs for the interior trim are still available, I just bought a load of them last month.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Yes, and I believe the car exterior trim clips and clips in the hatch are all still available as well. Frankly, I'm very happy and thankful so much is still available, as parts for MkIIs are few and far between it seems. I will say that the A/C blower motor is still available for the MkII however :p

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
3p141592654;1869127 said:
By the way, all those screws and plastic tabs for the interior trim are still available, I just bought a load of them last month.

That's good to know. With this resto, I'm probably gonna need a hundred. : /

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
3p141592654;1869127 said:
Yup, I broke that plastic tab off removing my old one. Luckily it comes as part of the new trim piece, but the 8mm nuts are separate. By the way, all those screws and plastic tabs for the interior trim are still available, I just bought a load of them last month.
If you can, I recommend a lock nut for replacing these panels when you put them on. Less chance they'll come off and you'll have to do it again. Doesn't help if the panel itself where the screw becomes brittle over time and just breaks though. :nono:

3p, what did those screws cost you? I was the lucky recipient of a bag full of them courtesy of another member parting out a car, but I'm curious what Toyota charges for them these days. Could NOT find anything even remotely close enough to work at ACE or Home Depot.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
There are a few mk3's in the local junkyard and everytime i go i spend twenty minutes or so pulling as many screws out of the interior as I can and just keep a big jar full of them.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Mr Bojangles;1869701 said:
There are a few mk3's in the local junkyard and everytime i go i spend twenty minutes or so pulling as many screws out of the interior as I can and just keep a big jar full of them.
They're pretty common to find in other Toyotas too. Found a few of them tinkering with the LS last night...

RazoE;1869709 said:
JUST REMEMBER FOLKS

Targa and Hardtop sail panels are different.
Sure would be nice if we had someone who made fresh ones for our cars, for those of us whose mounting tabs have become brittle over time and broken off... ;)

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
te72;1869690 said:
3p, what did those screws cost you? I was the lucky recipient of a bag full of them courtesy of another member parting out a car, but I'm curious what Toyota charges for them these days. Could NOT find anything even remotely close enough to work at ACE or Home Depot.

Lots of screws, not sure which one you are referring too. The black self-tapping ones used for the plastic panels are around 43 to 59 cents each (there are different sizes for the various panels). The plastic retainer pins tend to be around 1.85 or so each.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
3p141592654;1870104 said:
Lots of screws, not sure which one you are referring too. The black self-tapping ones used for the plastic panels are around 43 to 59 cents each (there are different sizes for the various panels). The plastic retainer pins tend to be around 1.85 or so each.
I guess that isn't terrible considering I've never found another good source of them (other than other cars haha), not to mention the entire car has less than 50 of them, IIRC...