Removing stock y-pipe?

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
Has anyone done this while keeping the turbos on the car? Is this possible? I've only been able to remove 2 of the studs on the y-pipe that hold it to the turbines. I don't see how in the hell I'll be able to get to the studs that are on the "motor side" of the y-pipe. Any tips/ advice would be greatly appreciated (besides go single). :icon_bigg

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
i figured as much. To me its looking like the rear turbo would require the least work. Would you agree?

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
or not. Im not seeing one turbo coming off by itself. In order to do that, all of the studs would have to come off that are joining a particular turbo to the y-pipe. If I could take those off, there'd be no reason to take off the turbo(s).

So in other words, the whole turbo system needs to come off of the manifolds, right?

r45marsh

Old MotorHead
Sep 22, 2007
Huntsville,Alabama
I had the same situation. Loosened Rear turbo to manifold bolts, removed all front turbo bolts to manifold, all y-pipe bolts. Vaguely remember I had to remove some of the studs for the front turbo to manifold and the oil return lines for both turbos. Massive mounts of beer/tequila and a formidable knowledge of cuss words in multiple languages is a MUST HAVE. Another dealmaker item is set of gear-ratchet wrenches.

Used prybar to move rear turbo out ~1-2" while pulling front turbo & y-pipe over the remaining studs. Reverse to reinstall. Also had to grind down 2 nuts for inner/lower y-pipe studs. Good luck!