removing stock twins SUCK!

C

cnewingham

I will never, and I mean NEVER EVER change twins again. The cost of going single far outweighs having to swap out the twins for another pair.

Thats all

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i had trouble taking the twins off when the engine wasnt in the bay :p (At least for 2j LOL)

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
it was easy for me with my engine out of the car, but I bet it is a bitch when the engine is in the car. No leverage on the bottom bolts.:aigo:

Van Diesel

Powered by vino
Dec 12, 2006
El Paso, Texas
shit, I've gone single TWICE. Well, once single and once non-stock twin turbo. Both times I had to remove the twins while they were in the car. Not fun.

C

cnewingham

I finished it in about 6hrs start to finish but damn was it a pita. I would say the worst pat was removing the studs from the turbos to get it off the manifold. I didnt have the right wrench and used vise grips which took so long.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
cnewingham said:
I finished it in about 6hrs start to finish but damn was it a pita. I would say the worst pat was removing the studs from the turbos to get it off the manifold. I didnt have the right wrench and used vise grips which took so long.

ROFL! vice grips?? screw that i wouldve gave up... i have trouble with the RIGHT tools! hehe

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You guys are all wimps. Try removing 2JZ stock twins!

I've removed the stock twins 3 times on my 1JZ, twice with the motor in the car. Never again. It takes less time to pull the motor, and take the turbos off. Hell, you can pull it half way out with the harness still connected and it takes no time.

I have a single now. 100x easier.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Wills7MGTE said:
Why didn't you go buy the right tool instead of jerry rigging around vice grips, ever hear of a sears or O'reilly's?

i miss o'reilly they had those in texas not here... they have napa autozone and advance auto....

we are running out of sears' too lol

C

cnewingham

Wills7MGTE said:
Why didn't you go buy the right tool instead of jerry rigging around vice grips, ever hear of a sears or O'reilly's?

considering what time it was and the fact that I would have clean myself up due to being dirty to get into either one of my cars (both 06's and still fairly new and clean) I would not have made it in time, smart ass.