Removing PS...Need a Dry Rack?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
SupraOfDoom;1488197 said:
Loop or keep it. Don't run it dry. Or if you know anyone with a 5.0 Manual rack... rumor has it that it works ( Really not much information on it ). Duane says he prefers looped to having PS...
Rumor is almost right. It can be *made* to work, sure. However, it's certainly not a bolt in solution.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Poodles;1488207 said:
No way in hell I'd drive at the limit in my car without PS. Bump steer FTL...

Funny you say this. I had a pro driver drive my car at the track and he said it was a better without as he could feel the car better.

You guys didn't drink enough milk if you think no ps is hard. lol

Duane

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
upgradedsupra;1488270 said:
Funny you say this. I had a pro driver drive my car at the track and he said it was a better without as he could feel the car better.

You guys didn't drink enough milk if you think no ps is hard. lol

Duane

A track is very smooth. Also of mention is that at higher speeds the PPS is all but shutting the power steering off.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Poodles;1488304 said:
A track is very smooth. Also of mention is that at higher speeds the PPS is all but shutting the power steering off.

A track is smooth, but isn't straight. I am speaking specifically The Streets Of Willow, awesome track!

Sure the PPS is good, no great, I'm speaking in general if people that have it off, it isn't as bad as some portray.

Duane

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah, I've hit some back roads pretty hard and hitting a bump mid turn you'll need the assist to keep it on track. The miata will hit you hard with a bump in a corner but as the car is so light and the way the chassis is setup it's not hard to control if it does go a bit screwy.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Poodles;1488325 said:
Yeah, I've hit some back roads pretty hard and hitting a bump mid turn you'll need the assist to keep it on track. The miata will hit you hard with a bump in a corner but as the car is so light and the way the chassis is setup it's not hard to control if it does go a bit screwy.

This is all theoretical however.
Everyone knows that supra owners never speed or drive "out of control" unless we are on a closed track. It would be illegal otherwise.

In all seriousness, I never pushed my car very hard without the power steering, but I would be worried about more than a bump if I were to be going 1.5 or 2x the speed limit.

Kota

Jun 26, 2009
michigan
GrimJack;1488190 said:
This depends a lot on what kind and size of tires you are running on the front. Skinny tires that are built for mileage rather than grip? No problem. Wide sticky rubber? Better work out more, son.

i have wide fronts, but i dont have a problem steering

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
GrimJack;1488417 said:
Can you parallel park on dry pavement using one finger? I can.

People still do that outside of major cities?

I do not NEED to do it, therefore I do not know if I can :p I can back it in with one hand however.