removing harmonic damper nut?

917mgte

Sep 9, 2008
butte mt
I am having a bitch of a time removing the harmonic damper nut any ideas we dont have an impact here so any tips please help???

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
i invested in this crazy ass tool that has a pivot on the bottom with a 1/2 adapter, the top has a grip and an area to pound with a hammer, works good for tight spots when engine removal is not a possibility and air tools wont fit.

Not a suggestion in anyway can cause damage and possible injury. have to to do it hondas many times, big breaker wedged on frame and BUMP engine to brake loose.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
mk3-4-me;1613640 said:
dont matter if auto or manual. but get the biggest breaker bar you can find!! and crank that!! lol

And just how do you propose to stop the crank rotating if it's an auto?

I ask questions for a reason, they determine my answer to the issue instead of making useless posts.

Bill UK

90 Supra Turbo 14 psi
Aug 11, 2006
UK
This looks as if this could work, found this on a forum some years ago, The red one was made by a guy in the UK.
p1613645_1.jpg

p1613645_2.jpg

p1613645_3.jpg

p1613645_4.jpg

DeadlyWrenches

Jan 9, 2010
CT
Remove the plate between the engine and transmission to expose the flywheel/flexplate teeth and jam the flywheel/flexplate with a prybar.

jukka

Sep 1, 2008
Canada
with engine in car, place a 19 mm socket on the bolt with breaker bar contacting the floor on driver's side and turn ignition key for just a moment and the starter should easily break it free

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
In my haynes supra manual, it recommends to remove the starter and stop it with a pry bar while you remove the bolt.
I used this method once, it is MUCH easier with two people.

If the motor is out of the car, I ''blocked'' the crank with an 3/8" extension and used a large breaker bar.

Having a friend to help is always a good idea.

Sam

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
mk3-4-me;1613738 said:
i never had a prob with my auto... i just cranked it with a breaker bar and got it... lol keep it in park?
Park only locks the output shaft and the ringgear is still free to turn.

917mgte;1613764 said:
Mines a manual trans
4th gear have a bud stand on the brakes then a big breaker bar, it "should" be done up to 195ft/lbs so expect a lot of effort but it will come undone.
(might have to slip a cheater pipe over the breaker bar if you're a light guy)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
suprarich;1614265 said:
That made my night IJ. Magic lock up converters coming soon!

I really can't understand the need here for people that have NFI to give advice in Tech threads.... :nono:

Growing up learning to work on cars at a neighbours place they had a plaque on the wall that read

"Oh Lord help me to keep my big mouth shut until I know what I'm talking about"

Words to live by! ;)

Neal

Jun 15, 2007
Melbourne
So IJ how would you undo the pulley bolt if the car was a AUTO?

Never though/tried the 4th gear idea, but will try it next time.

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
Ian, I think when they say "crank it" they mean hit the starter with the breaker bar on the crank bolt though I'm sure you got that part. I got mine off with a 36" pipe wrench and placed it around the inside where the bolt is and the outside where the belt rides. Not sure if it is right or wrong but i was able to loosen it fairly easily. Make sure you are pushing away form you when you do this. Nothing like catching a breaker bar to the teeth to lighten your day!!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Neal;1614765 said:
So IJ how would you undo the pulley bolt if the car was a AUTO?

Never though/tried the 4th gear idea, but will try it next time.

Takes 2 people Neal, I remove the inspection cover and place a big screwdriver into the teeth to stop the ring gear turning.
(Starter side to undo, Turbo side to tighten)