Removing egr

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
Since I gotta yank the motor out again to fix a wrist pin, I figured why not remove EGR while im at it.

I have no emissions where I am, so not a problem.

I will buy the block off kit from..(cant remember its one of the vendors though)

My main concern is the vacuum lines and any vac operated valves associated with it, im not sure where they all are, If anyone has a write up or walk through of what all lines and vac switching valves I can remove please post it.

Also I have one concern, that im curious about, where does the exhaust gas come from? Are there holes or hole in one of the exhaust ports in the head? And if so wouldnt that part of the head get hotter due to exhaust going through the port and idling instead of recirculating? Or is this not a concern?

Im doing this for looks really, maybe dumb, but I hate popping a hood and seeing 1000 vacuum lines, if I can remove any it will be a good thing.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
:: facepalm ::

There are exactly three visible vacuum lines on the EGR system, and 2 of them are at the back of the engine and not noticable.

Outside of that, it's not a good idea.

(you can search the forums for it, just use "EGR*" without the quotes)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It actually gets hotter with the egr removed. The egr cooler cools the back of the head.

There is hole in the back fo the head that takes exhaust gas from no6 only.

You can remove the rear vsv under the intake mani.

and just look at the vacuum lines either by pass or cap off. I forget.

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
So I read that using the JDM ECU may be the better idea when removing the EGR, since its tuned to not have it anyway... But clear one thing up, isnt the JDM ecu MAP? If its not then is it more or less PnP on our harness? (mines an 87)

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Im running a 89 turbo jdm motor with jdm harness no egr and have a usdm ecu both plug right in and work the same as far as I can tell. I do want to put the egr on the engine later just don't want to pull the motor yet.

But the egr cools the entire motor, the egr recirculates exhaust gases back into the engine to fill up room air would normally take up, so with that un-burnable exhaust gas in the engine some of the fuel will not burn, the purpose of this is for the fuel to absorb heat from the engine and take the heat out with the unburnt fuel and the unburnable recirculated air. Hence lowering cyl temps. This is done because combustion gases at ~2500 iirc start to create nox, below this temp nox can form. So in your situation the nox dont matter but it is an indication of the head running hot. So without the egr you can get more power out of the engine while the egr is working by having fuel to mix with the air instead of inert exhaust gases. But at the cost of getting the head hotter.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
^ WHyd you use the jdm harness? Just curious.

Jdm 7m are the same as the usdm. Just the oil pressure sender is different. You will also have speed cut with the jdm 7m. Idk if you can just remove the speed sensor wire or not like on the 1jz.

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
Well in my opinion if you love your engine and drive it as your daily rather than weekend street car. I'd say keep it on.