removal of brake cylinder??

kylefoto

I am not ASIAN!
May 7, 2006
Lynnwood, WA
www.myspace.com
There should be just one bolt that screws in and another that just kind of holds it in. I think the bottom one that screws out, and then you have to pull out the one on top if I remember right...

Frankie_lala

Sep 21, 2006
SoCal 90712
my question is how do i pull off the top one? i know the bottom screws off but my top is not coming off. do i pry the two parts apart and then it should come off? what do i do to take that top part that is connected off?

i already know that the bolt comes off but what do i do to take the caliper cylinder off completely

kylefoto

I am not ASIAN!
May 7, 2006
Lynnwood, WA
www.myspace.com
Frankie_lala said:
my question is how do i pull off the top one? i know the bottom screws off but my top is not coming off. do i pry the two parts apart and then it should come off? what do i do to take that top part that is connected off?

i already know that the bolt comes off but what do i do to take the caliper cylinder off completely
Hm.
you know what,
That one might just rotate upwards...
I'm not sure if it comes off.
I forget, I did my brakes a month or two back and I forgot already.

Anyone else gunna chime in?

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
Frankie_lala said:

What are you trying to do? Install new pads? Replace rotors?

EDIT: Hint... "Brake Cylinder" is what the TSRM calls the brake "Caliper". Don't let the term confuse you.

Last edited:

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
If you are just trying to change the pads then all you need to remove is the lower bolt holding the brake caliper onto the caliper bracket then the caliper will rotate up on the slider pin(looks like a bolt holding the top of the caliper on). The caliper will rotate 90 degrees or so untill it clears the rotor. At this point you can slide it off the upper pin if you wish to get it out of your way while you install pads. As the TSRM states, do not let the caliper hang with it's weight on the brake hose.

Let us know if you need more info.

kylefoto

I am not ASIAN!
May 7, 2006
Lynnwood, WA
www.myspace.com
Aspec said:
If you are just trying to change the pads then all you need to remove is the lower bolt holding the brake caliper onto the caliper bracket then the caliper will rotate up on the slider pin(looks like a bolt holding the top of the caliper on). The caliper will rotate 90 degrees or so untill it clears the rotor. At this point you can slide it off the upper pin if you wish to get it out of your way while you install pads. As the TSRM states, do not let the caliper hang with it's weight on the brake hose.

Let us know if you need more info.
There we go,
that's what I had thought!

Frankie_lala

Sep 21, 2006
SoCal 90712
ohh man again i dont get an e-mail about people replying to the thread. well what happen to mine is when im suppose to rotate the caliper up after the unbolt the bottom bolt holding it in it doesnt rotate. i have to use a large screw driver to pry it open. im just gonna go to napa and order some new ones. thanks for the info guys i thought there was some certain way to take out the top bolt but u just rotate it. thanks again

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
Wiggle up and down while pushing away from you, it is just a pig pin ( caliper slide), clean inside the hole of the caliper with a wire brush, like a valve guide brush & brake clean, then grease it up , or use syl-glyde when putting it together. If its hard to move, you will go through the new brakes prematurely, could have a pull braking, soft pedal, etc.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Sounds like your caliper pin has rusted. Probably has not seen any lube for a while. Normally, it just slides off without any effort. New pins can be bought, and if the caliper guide is rusted, you would need to replace the caliper.

The fit needs to be pretty tight or your caliper will clunk when you apply the brakes.