remote mount turbo sizing

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
Hey everyone i have a new project idea that im playing with and i need some info (and i dont really trust my math)
im currently running a 97 1uzfe engine in my supra and im looking to go turbo, however there is a catch... i want to go remote turbo and i want to use a holset brand turbocharger.

ive been reading through the info on here and i would like to figure out how to properly size a turbo for this engine and application
im looking for boost to come in at around 2800rpm and my rev limiter kicks in at about 6200 rpm

im still a little new to turbos so please bear with me as i learn

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
Poodles;1649781 said:
Remote mounts tend to be quite laggy. Not to mention requiring scavenging pumps to drain them, piping issues, ect...

yes but remember im running a v8 and i would like just a bit of lag so i can drive it out of boost . the other thing is that im not shooting for big hp numbers either im just looking for right around 400bhp from this setup witch should be like 380 or so to the wheels.
the last thing is that i redline at 6500 rpm so im looking for a turbo that will be efficient from 2800 to just short of the redline.
ive been reading a lot of articles on the subject but i cant seem to find the equations that will give me what im looking for.
i want to size the turbo correctly for the application which means i have to take into account the position of the turbo and the loss of heat energy from mounting it so far back among other things.
all the calculators ive found were for front mount setups which sux for this project lol

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Remote mount refures to not being in the engine bay. It's usually placed at the back of the car where the muffler would be. Really doubt you'd get any boost at all under 3K RPM on a remote mount unless it's small, and then you'll choke off at higher RPM.

I think you'll be really disappointed in it's performance, especially considering all the work it takes to put in a remote mount properly...

Honestly, I think you might be better off with a supercharger if you're really looking for boost.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
There was one of those cars around here. Lots of issues with it, namely the scavenging pump for the oil, but being an LS1 it already had plenty of power down low. LS1 is a 5.7 though, compare to the 1UZ 4.0.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Due to the unique layout of the new vehicle here I'll be going semi remote mount when I install my 6.0L LSx, I can keep the piping fairly short so am not at all concerned about "lag" (I'll run a LARGE lazy Turbo and a QS valve again)

There are 2 reasons why I'm going this route, Heat and weight distribution.

Car is already nose heavy so a Charger and it's W2A IC is only going to make that worse and don't under estimate the amount of Heat a Turbo V8 in a cramped Mk3 engine bay will produce....

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
IJ what turbo will you be running and where exactly do you plan to mount it.
my idea was to cut out the spare well and mount the turbo there and make the trunk flat.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
taka21;1651280 said:
IJ what turbo will you be running and where exactly do you plan to mount it.
my idea was to cut out the spare well and mount the turbo there and make the trunk flat.

The new vehicle is a Cab/Chassis so I have a ton of room between the rails behind the cab, looking at maybe a GT42/45 type of thing so I can keep boost low but still have a lot of flow.

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
4U2QUIK;1651305 said:
if you were to use smaller turbos there's a spot where you could put them just in front of the differential so you wouldn't have to go choppin the chassis.
It was a thought I had while rich at daft did my exaust. That plus a supercharger to wind up the bottom end real good.
i didnt think the hx35 was all that big where do you mean before the diff?

IJ.;1651417 said:
The new vehicle is a Cab/Chassis so I have a ton of room between the rails behind the cab, looking at maybe a GT42/45 type of thing so I can keep boost low but still have a lot of flow.

sounds good i looked up some vids on that quick spool valve, that thing is pretty neat.

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
ok its been a while and i havent really been working on this project like i should have been.
but im all in again for a rear setup due to space constraints and wanting a very low key engine bay
im planning to start lining things up this week

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
taka21;1757853 said:
ok its been a while and i havent really been working on this project like i should have been.
but im all in again for a rear setup due to space constraints and wanting a very low key engine bay
im planning to start lining things up this week

Looking forward to the progress :)
(heaps of new project stuff posted in my pics)