Reloading ammo

shaggyskadude13

AAARRRGGGHH!!!!!
May 16, 2007
Rockledge, Florida
I want to start reloading my own ammo but I don't have any idea where to begin with what to buy for it. I know some of you on here load your own ammo so I was hoping to get some advice on what to purchase. Mostly I plan to reload .308 and .223. I dont need any super fancy set up just something to get me started. Thanks for any help.

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
It really depends on how much you shoot. I go through about 100 rounds each of .308, .45 ACP and .375 Winchester every time I go to the range, which is about every three weeks or so; a single stage loader therefore works very well for me. It takes me about a day, working pretty slowly, to reload each calibre. If you're shooting every weekend, a bunch more rounds, or you have little spare time, going to a multi-stage loader would be better, but it's also going to cost more initially. On top of the press, there's other parts: dies for priming, expanding, and crimping rounds (usually ~$50 a set, per calibre), sonic bath (wouldn't clean brass without one, can be had at harbor freight for cheap), bullets, primers, and powder all factor into initial and operating costs. You'll also want to set yourself up with a recent book on reloading, as it will give you guidance on how to work up a load for a particular calibre, specs on how much pressure different casings can take when fired, and other important ballistics info.

You'll need to figure out whether you want to cast your own bullets (great for target practice, I'd buy pre-cast for hunting), and it's a good idea to invest in a chronometer...I believe is what it's called. It measures muzzle exit velocity of a projectile, and it's a huge help when balancing bullet weight against the amount of powder in a load.

shaggyskadude13

AAARRRGGGHH!!!!!
May 16, 2007
Rockledge, Florida
Thanks for the info. I don't shoot all that much so I think a single stage will work fine for me. Do you have any recommendations for brands of loader? And I more than likely wont be casting my own bullets.

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
All of my stuff I got from my dad, and it's all RCBS; most of it has been in service longer than I've been alive. I'd check out a retailer like Blue Press, cheaperthandirt, or even Cabella's...though the latter tends to inflate prices somewhat, all of the above usually don't carry sub-par reloading gear. I haven't had to buy anything but primers, powder, and lead for quite a while, but with the newest addition ( .325 Winchester short magnum), I'm looking at a new set of dies, at least, and possibly a multi-stage loader just for our shotguns.

Ammo is getting more expensive by the month, it seems, and it's getting to the point where even .223 is worth reloading. At least .22LR is still cheap enough to buy.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
shaggyskadude13;1719588 said:
I want to start reloading my own ammo but I don't have any idea where to begin with what to buy for it. I know some of you on here load your own ammo so I was hoping to get some advice on what to purchase. Mostly I plan to reload .308 and .223. I dont need any super fancy set up just something to get me started. Thanks for any help.

Split the difference and go 270. That was the original combat cartridge. 6.8 SPCII in an AR.