Relay for an electric fan switch?

6o4turbo

It never ends...
Oct 27, 2005
B.C. Canada
I'm wiring up a on/off switch for my electric fan. Using 14g wiring, is a relay neccesary? I'm think no, but want to confirm.

Thanks,

- Kev

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Why not use a thermostatically controlled setup? They're hardly what I would call expensive and definitely worth it.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
i use the PermaCool set up from Summit. it comes with a termal probe that goes into the fins of the radiator and is adjustable. i also have a master on/off just in case something fails

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
cuel said:
A 30 amp relay is cheap insurance against burnt up fan motors or switches

This brings up I question about my set up. I was running a Perma-Cool High Performance Electric Fan, part # PRM-19115 (link). I had this wired up with a relay that was triggered via a switch in the car. All wires were 8 gauge high quality car audio power wire, and the fuse was a car audio fuse set up.

The fan burnt up on me after about 500 miles, I opened the can up to find that the wires inside were soldered to the brush housings and had come off and shorted out inside the motor. I replaced the internal wiring and soldered the same way as the "stock" wiring was.

This lasted about another 100-200 miles before the solder melted again.

Then I tried solid mounting the wire to the brush housings as to not let the wire come loose from the housing even if the solder came off, this lasted about 50 miles before the fuse popped, and this time the motor housing and wiring was too hot to touch. And when I opened the can this time the wires were still in place but the resin coating on the windings had failed from the heat and the windings shorted out.

So I got rid of that fan and I just got finished installing a Flex-a-lite Black Magic Electric Fan. I have it wired up the same way as the last fan, as the relay and wiring still seem to be working. The only difference this time is I have another fuse on the + wire right at the fan (the primary fuse is in-line before the relay)

I have yet to drive the car with this new fan. But what would cause the last fan to burn out like that. I don't want to ruin another ($$) nice fan. The relay is rated at 30 amps, the primary fuse is rated 30 amps, the new secondary fuse is rated at 25 amps.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Thats what I'm hoping as I don't want to melt down another motor. Could a bad grounding location cause this? I have it grounded to the inner-fender/ shock tower area. I might run a second ground to the frame rail just for peace of mind.....:dunno:

Kinda bums me out because that fan cooled great......when it would run :biglaugh:

keo

Apr 2, 2005
RI
my flex-a-lite's took so much juice, i burnt two fuse's(30A) the fuse's literally melted away.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
I run 2 relays. I use a 96+ Ford Taurus 2 speed electric fan (perfect fit for sc300/supra radiators and high speed is 3800cfm).

One relay to a key'd power source for low speed when the engine is on. High speed on another relay when i turn the AC on (very easy to do with a ecu pinout chart).

Since i went single turbo and got rid of the 1JZ twins, the engine barely runs hot enough to even open the cars 190* stock thermostat.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Jeff Lange said:
Agreed. Think of the power lost from converting mechanical to electrical energy, and then back to spin the fan.

Mechanical fan FTW.
Whoo hoooo !! :D

I've been preaching this for years Jeff and have NEVER seen a set of E Fan's that I'd use over a good working engine fan!