Redline heavy duty shock proof in tranny ???

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
mk3ukr;1394252 said:
It is on the bottom of the left column

"The most significant improvement comes with the ability to operate in extreme pressure regions with nearly three-times the load which can be handled with a conventional petroleum gear oil"

It can be gear teeth contact area or surface of thrust washer working against side of the first gear

Though comparing it to "conventional petroleum gear oil" is not fair , they should compare synthetic vs. synthetic.

Vlad - the loads are far different...the pamphlet talks about gear mesh loads which put a pretty severe shear on any lubricant. Thrust loads are a completely different issue and do not require the high pressure additives present in the Heavy ShockProof.

It's fine that you use this oil for a very specific purpose (I would still use MT-90) and as long as you understand the long term effects, but recommending it for use in a tranny to your average guy on SM is not good. That's kinda the whole point in this debate ;)

FYI - Red Line is in a class by itself even when talking about synthetics...it is an ester based oil. IMO the finest basestock available.

Bri7man

"Yeah! Take the lemons.."
Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
So is it a good to use heavy shockproof in lsd and tranny?

I don't understand syncro wear but heavy shockproof warns it can harm them.

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
I was not aware about negative long term effects of shockproof oil.
Some guys will be still willing to sacrifice durability vs. chance to break transmission on the track and probably pay big tow bill. Though keeping transmission in good shape with tight clearances more important then using any magic oil.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Bri7man;1394269 said:
So is it a good to use heavy shockproof in lsd and tranny?

I don't understand syncro wear but heavy shockproof warns it can harm them.

No. Stick with Red Line 75W-90 in the LSD...even then, it's probably not the best oil to use on a high mileage LSD.

Read the previous posts for what to use in the tranny ;)

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
jdub - What would you suggest in a high mileage LSD?

This has been my plan:
LSD Differential lube - Redline 75W90, includes friction modifier (1.4qts)
R154 Transmission lube - Redline MT-90 (3.2qts)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Red Line 75W-90 has a nasty habit of being too slippery for a LSD with a lot of miles on it...induces chatter. An alternative is to mix straight 75W-90 and 75W-90NS 50/50...if you need additional modifier, you can add it. Can't take it out though ;)

Ford oil + friction modifier also works well...I'd start with 1 oz of the modifier and go from there.

Supra-Man18

Nov 24, 2007
miami
jdub;1394284 said:
No. Stick with Red Line 75W-90 in the LSD...even then, it's probably not the best oil to use on a high mileage LSD.

Read the previous posts for what to use in the tranny ;)

Can you explain why not to use in the LSD please ? I was looking forward to putting this in to quiet down the whine, i was told it would help alot. And the LSD has no seals and what-not to swell due to additives.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Supra-Man18;1394294 said:
Can you explain why not to use in the LSD please ? I was looking forward to putting this in to quiet down the whine, i was told it would help alot. And the LSD has no seals and what-not to swell due to additives.

Use it if you want...not my LSD. Not sure who told you that, but sounds like another one of those "my buddy's, sister's boyfriend told me" deals. Considering the viscosity of that gear oil, it's no wonder it muffles LSD whine...pack your LSD with grease, that will reduce whine too ;)

The Heavy ShockProof was designed for LSDs that are subject to heavy loads...racing applications where shock from a drag launch is transferred to the LSD. As such, it's viscosity is over 1 and half times that of the 75W-90 or 80W-90 spec'ed for the Mk III LSD. It might be OK hot, but I can assure you you won't like what it does cold or in most situations on the street.

If whine is your concern, how about fixing the real problem and rebuild the LSD.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
isnms;1394343 said:
To be sure; which one of these would be the correct one for our LSD
• SAE 75W-90 Premium Synthetic Transaxle Lubricant
• SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant <---- This one
• SAE 80W-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant
http://tinyurl.com/nurghq

I prefer the synthetic for longevity, but the 80W-90 works well too.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Crap! Did you check PepBoys? Last I looked down here they had the GearPlus GL-4.

Since you are going to only be using it as a short time "flush", just about any 75W, 80W, or 85W-90 GL-4 gear oil will work, including the one you posted from NAPA.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
jdub;1394372 said:
Crap! Did you check PepBoys? Last I looked down here they had the GearPlus GL-4.

Since you are going to only be using it as a short time "flush", just about any 75W, 80W, or 85W-90 GL-4 gear oil will work, including the one you posted from NAPA.

Hmmm.

I'll look into PepBoys.

But I get a pretty good discount at napa.

(My Countrymen work there..) ;)

So i think Napa Won.

I also noticed a lot of gear oils said GL-3, GL-4, GL-5. (Mainly Coastal) Any opinion on these oils? I know GL-5 isn't backwards compatible.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
As much as I dislike WalMart, the SuperTech oils would be a better choice before I'd go Coastal (LOL).

The problem now and days is most of the gear oils are going to the GL-5 spec. Most (not all) GL-5 oils contain friction modifiers...modern manual trannys can handle it. The R154 and W58 require a GL-4 or GL-5, but don't like the friction modifier. GL-4 oils do not contain the modifier...you will be safe using that oil. If you use a GL-5, just make sure it's one that requires a friction modifier additive if used in an LSD.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I've never used it, so I can't give you any personal experience. I have used Ford gear oils exclusively in my diesel Excursion (4 WD, auto) with excellent success. Looking at the site tells me it would work and it meets Ford long-life requirements. I'll tell ya though, MT90 is hard to beat ;)