Redline 0w-40

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
What do you know about RL new 0w-40 oil? I always run either 5/10w-30 oil during the cold months here in FL and then I switch to 10w-40 during the summer heat and whenever I take the car to the track. According to RL specs this oil actually flows better in the cold and is thicker at operating temp than the 10w-40. I am considering of using it but wanted more info as to make sure the 0w-40 isn't the type of oil that thins out to 30w like the other 0w-40 weight out there.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 4(10).pdf
    456.8 KB · Views: 21

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Same base stock as the other RL oils...polyol ester. It is a thinner oils at start-up (a good thing), but it is also thicker at oils temp. Ester based oils will stay in grade better due to the low amount of VI improvers needed in the formulation.

IMO, you really don't need to switch weights for the summer, especially for a ester or PAO based oil in FL. I would run the 5W-30 all year for the cold start characteristics. If you are having oil temp issues at the track, an upgrade to the oil cooler is a better option vs running a thicker oil.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You've never heard of Red Line Oils? What rock are you living under ;)

Read the spec sheet OneJ posted in the 1st post. Red Line is an ester based Grp V oil, GC is a PAO based Grp IV oil...different base stock, but both are true synthetics. Ester is probably the best base stock out there, but it is expensive and way over kill for an automotive engine IMO. If you want the best though, Red Line is it.

The 0W-40 talked about in this thread is a bit thick for a daily driver, but will work fine. As far a providing additional "protection", OneJ is referring to higher demands you can see at the track causing oil to thin at temps over 100 deg C. Every motor oil on the market will decrease in viscosity as temp increases...the grade is spec'ed at 100 deg C. Over that, viscosity continues to decrease.

A better solution is to use a larger oil cooler to keep the oil temps at the specified 100 deg C. A thicker oil is not going to flow as well at engine start, even during the summer.

Personally, I'm sticking with GC.

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
jdub;1268167 said:
Personally, I'm sticking with GC.

Guess I was wrong in thinking this thread can make you switch to RL. :icon_razz

JD, I plan to use this oil during the summer/track use and will do oil analysis after 4k and see how it holds.

Thanks,

Andy